Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Added 33's and it feels sluggish

Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but my car feel like I've had it for 5 years opposed to one.
you did it again
Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Rokus;1130796]First of all, thank you for all the fast replies and I will make sure to refer to it as only a Jeep!

Besides the increased tire height, the new tires are a about an inch wider but I'm not getting any rubbing. , I haven't done anything to the car.

and again
Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rokus
...and I will make sure to refer to it as only a Jeep!

...I haven't done anything to the car...
...and it the perfect car...
...but my car feel like I've had it...
First of all, you REALLY need to stop referring to your Jeep as a car. It was funny at first, now it's just disrespectful.

Now a disclaimer:

If this is the first Jeep you've ever owned (and I'm guessing it is), welcome to the club. A warning however, this is not a club for everyone. If loud rattling, leaky roofs or underpowered engines bother you, sell the Sahara and get a Cherokee with a Hemi. I am saying this respectfully. You'll be much happier in the end and still be able to enjoy long drives on sandy beaches in the Cherokee. The Wranglers are a unique vehicle for a very particular type of utilitarian individual. The 4-door Wranglers have allowed others, who have traditionally been SUV owners (Ford Explorers, Nissan Xterra, Honda Pilots and the like) to have a taste of Jeep ownership and the Jeep "experience". What they usually find is that their previous SUV was far superior in the areas of luxury, power and ride quality on roads.

Jeep people like their Jeeps regardless of anything wrong. We're just happy to be topless, doorless and right-side-up most of the time. It's a Jeep thing. If you don't understand, then go back to your Ford Explorer (respectfully) .

Now the diagnosis:

I believe what you are experiencing is a perceived lack of power. I am not a fan of the Goodyear Silent Armors. I had hem on my wife's Suburban and took them off 15k as I did not like the way they handled at all. I went to the always-trustworthy BFG A/Ts for the Suburban and haven't been happier. That being said, the tires shouldn't feel sluggish as the rubber compound is no softer than the stock tires you had on before. I ran my wife's tires at 35psi but they were D-load for a heavier vehicle. I would probably run yours with 30-32psi of tire pressure.

The extra inch of tire width gives you more resistance agaisnt the road surface and may lead to better traction on dry roads which may lead to the perception of loss of power, but it would be minimal. A bad air filter and bad gasoline may also contribute to poor performance. I would check it out just in case. Otherwise, welcome to Jeep ownership!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Ha! You guys aren't taking this lightly - I will do my best to refer to my Jeep only as a Jeep and nothing other than a Jeep.

this is not my first jeep. my first jeep was a '88, then a '98 and now my '08. With my older Jeeps I never cared that they were uncomfortable, noisy, bumpy... you name it.
My new '08 is a different story. When I first got it, it had the feeling of a Cherokee or something more luxurious and comfortable, but now, after only one year it feels like a cheap CAR! yes, i said it. My Jeep drives and feels like a cheap CAR!!! I'm really not surprised that Chrysler is in as much trouble as they are - the products are falling apart.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Sluggish after 33s with a manual? You must have 3.21s.
its an unlimited do they come with 3.21s????i thought only 3.73s!!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rokus
Ha! You guys aren't taking this lightly - I will do my best to refer to my Jeep only as a Jeep and nothing other than a Jeep.

this is not my first jeep. my first jeep was a '88, then a '98 and now my '08. With my older Jeeps I never cared that they were uncomfortable, noisy, bumpy... you name it.
My new '08 is a different story. When I first got it, it had the feeling of a Cherokee or something more luxurious and comfortable, but now, after only one year it feels like a cheap CAR! yes, i said it. My Jeep drives and feels like a cheap CAR!!! I'm really not surprised that Chrysler is in as much trouble as they are - the products are falling apart.
I noticed the same thing with mine. Got it in January, and it was quiet, smooth, didnt rattle, and decent power. (stock X) fast forward to 33's, 2.5" lift, winch, bumper, etc... And although it rattles like a mofo and has a stiff ass ride now, it still has plenty of power for what I need. I especially noticed an increase in power and MPG after the first 5k miles or so.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try higher octane gas... mine sometimes rattles a bit when i use some gas stations 87 octane.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjhoop
its an unlimited do they come with 3.21s????i thought only 3.73s!!
both 2dr and 4dr auto and manual come with 3.21s thats the stock gears for all jeep
the 3.73s come with a jeep stock if u get the tow package
there ya go
The following users liked this post:
RickLB (12-08-2022)
Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

If all you did was switch out the tires I would start my quest there. Changing from 32's to 33' won't make a difference. You may have another tire-related issue. Bad balance, alignment, loose tire.... something.

I will tell you, unlike some, that this is a JK not a YJ or old CJ - they don't rattle and shake like old Jeeps (even our '97 TJ shakes a bit) and they shouldn't unless you do something to muck them up. Mine is far from stock and rides better and just as quiet as new. You shouldn't feel any difference with your new tires unless they are way more aggressive and you're feeling the tire tread "lugging around" at slower speeds and in turns. Happy hunting for the cause of your issues and let us know when you find out.

Oh and welcome to the group.............. if you remember it's a Jeep, it's a Jeep, it's a .................. Jeep.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

So if 32's come on it from the factory how big of a tire can you go before a regear in a necessity.

Quick Reply: Added 33's and it feels sluggish