Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Added 1" level spacer to my 3" Zone lift, now i have some issues

Old 10-02-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added 1" level spacer to my 3" Zone lift, now i have some issues

I am getting a 65lbs bumper and winch that I know will drop my front about .500 inch.

This is what I did today to get rid of the rake and compensate for the bumper/winch

i added the 1" spacers along with a warrior front track bar relocation bracket that raises the track bar location on the axle.

Now Im .375 high in the front comparing the fenders to the ground , Is my alingnment way off now? I did recenter my stearing wheel , I have a bit more bump steer and the steering wheel shimmied out of control on a road bump at 45mph and had to come to nearly a complete stop to get it under control, otherwise it drives ok.

Im thinking i need to weld up some gussets for the track bar relocation bracket, it could be flexing? or is my alingment now off, now sure if that can cause the wobble/shimmy, or would a fliped drag link take care of it?

I have the camber bolts with stock control arms.

if I did something wrong let me know

Last edited by storch; 10-04-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 65 pound bumper is not going to drop your bumper an inch. My bumper and winch together weigh about 250 pounds and it only droped it 3/4 of an inch with RC springs in front.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone know what is causing the so called death wobble?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Storch I am rt around the corner from you in SLyon. I have the Zone 3" too and added 1" spacers too. I put a JKS adjustable trac bar on to recenter the front axle. Have you measured to see with the flimsy front relocation bracket if you are centered. I have heard that a braket in the rear is ok but in the front you should get an adjustable trac bar and NOT the brack because they flex and are a bad Idea. I have also heard if you dont torque the bolts holding the trac bar to the frame and axle to 125ft lbs that this can cause death wobble.
I do know for sure that with just the Zone 3 my truck drove straight and once I put the 1" spacers on the steering got very light and I needed a tracbar to get the front back in alignment. I still need to do something about my control arms as the steering is still very light and the front wants to wander too easily
Old 10-08-2010, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

I could be wrong but from what I have read here you want to keep your trac bar and drag link parallel to each other. if you change the mount on the trac bar you have to change the draglink as well with a pitman arm etc.. So from what I can tell the adjustable trac bar is the way to go.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow I just ordered the Track bar yesterday and will take off the bracket and replace the track bar, i may at a later date add the complete bracket and drag link flip?

I added a .375 metal washer to the .750 plastic spacer, I may bring it back down
.375 since I am adding the bushwacker flats soon, i will be painting to match the body Silver.

I Live in commerce and work in Livonia.
still need to get gears changed also
Old 10-12-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Much better.
removed bracket added JKS track bar, also removed the cheep sqeaky sway bar disconects and put on extended bolted links.

80% better, need to check my caster, could track a little better on rutted blacktop
Old 10-12-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

You need the upper or lower control arms. I have virtually the same set up. once I centered the axle, put on the control arms and dialed the caster to 6 degrees it handles better than stock now. you can hit the brakes hard and let go of the wheel and it will track straight as an arrow. almost no wandering (the 27PSI tip helped alot before I got the control arms)

if you need some help installing them let me know, I have done four sets and I have it down pat now. Im close to lansing so Im not that far away...

just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Added 1" level spacer to my 3" Zone lift, now i have some issues