Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Actual lift heights???

Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actual lift heights???

Hi guys,

I am looking for a decent coil lift around 2" (I live in a city and need to acces underground parkings freqently). I was thinking about getting AEV XT or OME 2", which should be at 2.5" respectively 2". Or rather thats what the manufacturer claims. From what I found out however, any coil lift you install, will (at least at the beginning) sit around 1-1.5" taller than advertised. Aka the AEV will be almost 4". Since we just installed one on my buddy´s Unlimited with bumper/winch combo, I can confirm that - it truly sits somewhere above 3.5" above the stock. Honestly I am not happy with that. If I buy a 2" lift I want it to be 2" otherwise I would opt for different height from the very beginning, right?!

So here goes my question, is there any WYSIWYG lift that will sit around 2"-2.5" in real life (no bumper/winch on my car)?

Thanks for your info guys.-)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way to get exactly 2" or 2,5" of lift will be to go with a Budget Boost lift. You will get what it state on the spec. With all the coil lifts out there, there is way to may factors involved to tell you exactly what the final hight will be.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Teraflex performance leveling kit lifts a stock rig exactly two inches front and one inch rear.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4x4chick
The only way to get exactly 2" or 2,5" of lift will be to go with a Budget Boost lift. You will get what it state on the spec. With all the coil lifts out there, there is way to may factors involved to tell you exactly what the final hight will be.
I am aware of that. Thats why I wrote "coil lift".
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ncb
The Teraflex performance leveling kit lifts a stock rig exactly two inches front and one inch rear.
Thank you for the suggestion. I am actually thinking about that one, but I: a) wasnt sure about the real height, b) am not sure what else apart these springs is need (longer shocks, rear trackbar bracket, etc.), c) I am not 100% sure about the ride quality of the Teraflex coils (TF is a great company - no doubt - but I was looking more for the dual rate springs like AEV, RK, or MC.).
Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Budget boost lift's such as the teraflex, rough country, or aev ones are actual height when installed. Just put into account when you add larger tires your going to add a few inches. I've got a 3.5" lift on mine with 35" tires and don't have a problem though going through parking garages where I live.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WYSIWYG! Don't see that too often anymore!

I think the tough part with this is how subjective it can be. Like aftermarket bumpers, extra weight, or even less weight. I would think the best thing to do here is decide on a lift from the hundreds of available and use that to find out how much height people actually got out of the lift with a similar setup to yours.

The nice thing is if it's sold someone on here has it. It's just a matter of getting that person to grab a tape measure, and there's quite a bit of helpful people here (among the trolls).

I have the NR ome hd long travel lift and picked up about 3-3.5 out of it, and with 35's I have no issues in any parking garages in Boston or New York (besides my CB antenna). Not sure how tight the garages are over there.

I also thought I saw a "my Jeep is XX height" thread here too, this could be helpful.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your two options are budget boost (pre-determined height increments) or a coil lift that gives you maybe more or less than the advertised increase depending on about a zillion factors.

Do you know the maximum clearance of your garages?

Measure your Jeep and see how much higher you could lift it before you start running into problems with low-clearance garages.

For reference, I took my stock '12 JK 2-door sport with the stock 17" wheels and added a 2.5" AEV Dualsport lift, AEV bumpers, and new 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac tires.

With the hardtop on and a full tank of gas, I'm right at about 6.5 feet, or 78 inches with everything installed. That's the limit of my comfort level in entering garages and I always look for height clearance signs.

With the coil lift and larger tires, I believe the total lift was a about 4.5". I wrote down the measurements at home, so am going from memory.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

If you're looking for a small coil lift I think the Teraflex 1.5" Performance Leveling Kit is right up your alley. Most people are getting anywhere from 2-2.5" with that kit and it'll come with new sway bar links. Nothing else needed! I've got a TF 2.5" BB with 33's and am at 6'3" with my JKU (19/60 springs) and an empty gas tank.

Last edited by Tripletsi; 04-30-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hello guys and thanks about your height infos - much appreciate it!

Where I live now, some garages are as low as 6'2 and most 6'5 so the usual "2.5" coil lift for me is almost a no-no (considering that i run soft-top in summer, which adds another inch to the total heigh...

Just spotted some bilstein leveling springs on Qtec. Quess they be similar o what TF offers. However these kits dont include the rear tracbar relocation bracket, not speaking about the front. Does that mean they are really not needed? And what about the shocks, do i need longer than stock?

Quick Reply: Actual lift heights???