Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ACE rock rails

Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you do get the ACE bolt on ones just have a grinder handy to grind down the washers. I figured that out the hard way. Oh and when you get them and don't see any hardware, have no fear they uses the existing bolts already on your Jk.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

With the group I wheel with we have a few guys running these. The 4 door set has 3 mounting points per side and are pretty solid. The 2 doors have just 2 mounting points and when you step on them there seems to be some "give".

If the are cosmetic they will be fine and I am sure they will hold up, but the flex kind of scares me.

Josh
Old 05-20-2012, 10:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Infinity
With the group I wheel with we have a few guys running these. The 4 door set has 3 mounting points per side and are pretty solid. The 2 doors have just 2 mounting points and when you step on them there seems to be some "give".

If the are cosmetic they will be fine and I am sure they will hold up, but the flex kind of scares me.

Josh
If there's 'give' then they probably need to be tightened. Zero give on mine, they feel like they're part of the vehicle.

I have the 4 door with Ace Rails + Rubi rails. I also weigh 200 lbs and stand on them all the time to take the top off, get in, etc. They really help as a step, especially if you have a lift.

I've beaten them on the rocks off road, they take a beating. I've landed on them HARD a few times and have had no damage other than some scratches. No dents or anything else though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1024 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	319566   Click image for larger version

Name:	1024 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	319567  

Last edited by suicideking; 05-20-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up ACE for the win

Ace are really nice. I think they look way better when they are paired with the Rubi rock rails. They are about the cheapest option, made in the USA, strongest, best warranty. If you need them in a hurry I would call before ordering to make sure they have them in stock. It took me about 2 weeks to get mine. Some of the vendors will also give you free shipping.

ACE INSTALL NOTES
You do have to grind down the washers attached to your body bolts some with the install. Removing the body bolts was a bit of a challenge on some of them. I had to pull down while ratcheting them off. Even then some took awhile. Some of the body bolts that were removed were hard to get started back in. I took the socket and extender off my ratchet and gave them a couple taps with a rubber mallet. They would sort of pop and then you knew they were ready to screw. I also used a rolling jack to help keep the rails in place as I was working on getting the bolts in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srlvRZFnpgw
Originally Posted by Infinity

Josh
No give on mine and I'm 250+ pounds and can jump on them. I put them on with 80 ft/lb with a torque wrench. That's what Adam the owner recommended on another forum.

Last edited by Rooster76; 05-20-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of insight. Looks like Ace gets my vote. I only have one concern ... the grinding. I don't have a grinder but imagine I could rig a grinding stone bit to a 3/8 portable drill, vice the bolt, and grind away. That, or find a machine shop in the area. Either way, the cost/value seems like it's worth the inconvenience. I'll let you know when I make the buy.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snoozer
Thanks for all of insight. Looks like Ace gets my vote. I only have one concern ... the grinding. I don't have a grinder but imagine I could rig a grinding stone bit to a 3/8 portable drill, vice the bolt, and grind away. That, or find a machine shop in the area. Either way, the cost/value seems like it's worth the inconvenience. I'll let you know when I make the buy.
Grinders are cheap, just pick one up and find other things to cut on your rig!

Quick Reply: ACE rock rails