Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ACE Rear Cargo Basket - Modifications?

Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default ACE Rear Cargo Basket - Modifications?

I have an ACE rear cargo basket and I really like having the basket to set things in and still get to stuff underneath without having to move the top stuff. However, I would love it if there was a way to modify it so that the support bars didn't sit on the body sides on top of the hardtop lip.

When you go to take the top off you obviously have to remove the bolts anyways, but you then have to try to rotate the basket so that the bars are out of the way to lift the top. This requires, at least for me, to fold the bask seat down and climb in to rotate the basket around. Folding the seat down isn't that big of deal unless you have car seats installed like me. You then have to go through the same steps to put the top back on.

All of this results in a longer process to take the hard top off. With out it, I can usually take it off pretty quickly with the hoist I made in the garage.

All that said...the reason for the post is to get ideas on modifying the basket mounts in a manner to avoid having to remove the basket to take the top off and then again to put the top back on. Maybe a way to secure it to the roll cage like the Synergy Baja basket (way overpriced in my opinion).

Ideas anyone? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought about getting the roll bar clamps and bracket from the Synergy Baja basket and modifying the Ace basket to connect to them. Or maybe building a frame like what is used on the Rampage basket (mounts to back roll bar and then down to the floor of the cargo area behind the seat; even tilts up).

Any other ideas?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not familiar with the ACE basket but it sounds like you could make a spacer to go under the tubs lip and get longer bolts with a nut to go thru the hardtop, thru the tub, thru the spacer and ACE basket rail, then secured with a washer and nut. That way its on the underside of the tub and not on top of the hardtop. So all you have to do to remove the top is undo the bolt and nut...everything else stays. Then reinstall the bolt and nut.

EDIT - after looking up the basket, my method would work but then you'd lose a few inches of storage under the basket. Maybe you could cut the bars and make a new bracket that fits under the tub rail but keeps the basket at the same height. That is if you have access to a welder or know someone who welds.

Last edited by MontyJK08; 03-03-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MontyJK08
Im not familiar with the ACE basket but it sounds like you could make a spacer to go under the tubs lip and get longer bolts with a nut to go thru the hardtop, thru the tub, thru the spacer and ACE basket rail, then secured with a washer and nut. That way its on the underside of the tub and not on top of the hardtop. So all you have to do to remove the top is undo the bolt and nut...everything else stays. Then reinstall the bolt and nut.

EDIT - after looking up the basket, my method would work but then you'd lose a few inches of storage under the basket. Maybe you could cut the bars and make a new bracket that fits under the tub rail but keeps the basket at the same height. That is if you have access to a welder or know someone who welds.
Yea, I thought about this idea, but didn't like how the forces would be applied on the bolts with the basket being essentially "hung" under the lip of the jeep tub and also, as you mentioned, would be lower.

Would really like to hear of some more ideas, thoughts, etc. on potentially modifying this cargo basket please?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same position, I like the aid of a cargo basket, but the ACE isn't ideal

I'll be watching to see what you come up with

Matthew

Quick Reply: ACE Rear Cargo Basket - Modifications?