Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Accurate Inline Tire Gauge

Old 03-01-2017, 08:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accurate Inline Tire Gauge

So in the process of perfecting my air compressor set up for me needs.

I finally got a quick disconnect chuck, sturdy hose but now I am in search of an accurate inline gauge.

Do these exist? It would be nice to be able to check the tire pressure in real time while one is filling up tires and not needing to disconnect.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 03-02-2017, 05:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not get an air chuck with integrated gauge? Is that what you are referring to?

I have found the ARB chuck/gauge combo to be pretty accurate. You can also splurge for the PowerTank versions too if you want something digital
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Hey Matt, think I get what you're saying and it would be a novel idea, but I don't think it would work with what you're really wanting. Going with a quick chuck that you snap on and is just open while it's on is going to prohibit that I'd think. The only way for the gauge to pick up the tire pressure would be to stop the flow of air and let the pressure build back to the gauge. With the quick chuck the only way to stop the flow of air is to remove it from the valve stem.

My experience is that regardless of how close I get em filled up, I typically end up tweaking them the next morning when they're all cold and I can get them dialed back in. For rollin' off the trails, I just use the TMPS to get them relatively close to where I want them to hit the pavement again. If you don't have TPMS, after a couple times of filling em up you pretty much know how long it takes....either by counting in your head of watching a stopwatch/phone.

I think you're wanting the best of both worlds.....not to have to sit there and hold a trigger to inflate the tires, but also wanting a gauge to automatically tell you the current pressure. I just opted for the convenience of clip the chuck on and watch em inflate.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Hey Matt, think I get what you're saying and it would be a novel idea, but I don't think it would work with what you're really wanting. Going with a quick chuck that you snap on and is just open while it's on is going to prohibit that I'd think. The only way for the gauge to pick up the tire pressure would be to stop the flow of air and let the pressure build back to the gauge. With the quick chuck the only way to stop the flow of air is to remove it from the valve stem.

My experience is that regardless of how close I get em filled up, I typically end up tweaking them the next morning when they're all cold and I can get them dialed back in. For rollin' off the trails, I just use the TMPS to get them relatively close to where I want them to hit the pavement again. If you don't have TPMS, after a couple times of filling em up you pretty much know how long it takes....either by counting in your head of watching a stopwatch/phone.

I think you're wanting the best of both worlds.....not to have to sit there and hold a trigger to inflate the tires, but also wanting a gauge to automatically tell you the current pressure. I just opted for the convenience of clip the chuck on and watch em inflate.
Thanks for the responses! I think that is what I am just going to have to continue to do been able to get from 15 to 30 psi in 1:45 a tire so I guess I'll just have to time it and check with a manual gauge. Thank you for explaining!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Search for inline tire chuck and gauge. Lots of what you want out there.

I use the old fashioned gas station type. Had it for 40 years. When you let go of the lever, the pressure indicator pops out, and retracts when you squeeze the lever again.

Accurate? I know it reads about 2 psi high, so I inflate accordingly.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Search for inline tire chuck and gauge. Lots of what you want out there.

I use the old fashioned gas station type. Had it for 40 years. When you let go of the lever, the pressure indicator pops out, and retracts when you squeeze the lever again.

Accurate? I know it reads about 2 psi high, so I inflate accordingly.
Ronjenx, I think the issue is he wants to use a quick chuck that he clips on the valve stem and the air just continually flows until he disconnects it vs. something where he has to sit there and hold a lever to keep the air flowing. That is how I read it at least......and that is what I do as well. Clip it on and let it be until I disconnect it. No bending over having to hold a lever to keep inflating. The problem with that set up is the only way to stop the flow of air is to disconnect, which would then render an in-line gauge useless. At least in my mind.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I think I am understanding now. There are several systems out there designed to inflate all 4 tires simultaneously that sound like they would meet your needs. Quick google search came up with the 2 below but I know there are others out there:
2air/4air/6air Tire Inflator - Deflator
Klutch 4-Tire Auto-Fill Inflator | Air Accessory Tool Kits| Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 03-05-2017, 12:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Ronjenx, I think the issue is he wants to use a quick chuck that he clips on the valve stem and the air just continually flows until he disconnects it vs. something where he has to sit there and hold a lever to keep the air flowing. That is how I read it at least......and that is what I do as well. Clip it on and let it be until I disconnect it. No bending over having to hold a lever to keep inflating. The problem with that set up is the only way to stop the flow of air is to disconnect, which would then render an in-line gauge useless. At least in my mind.
Exactly, I think with current technology such system does not yet exist (for the chuck with "live" psi reading while inflating (without having to stop inflating). I know with the newer jks the tpms system seems to give a "live" psi reading while the tire is being inflated. I don't have a 2012 plus or whenever the new system that shows the current tire pressure of all 4 tires. Just wondering if there was a gauge or system which could give me the live psi of the tire but it seems the sensor must have to be in the tire itself to give a true live psi reading.

Thanks for the input guys
Old 03-05-2017, 12:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
Ok I think I am understanding now. There are several systems out there designed to inflate all 4 tires simultaneously that sound like they would meet your needs. Quick google search came up with the 2 below but I know there are others out there:
2air/4air/6air Tire Inflator - Deflator
Klutch 4-Tire Auto-Fill Inflator | Air Accessory Tool Kits| Northern Tool + Equipment
Good find I will do more research into that. Seems like with that I would pre set it to 28 psi, clip onto all 4 tires and run my compressor to it until I hear a blow off hiss noise to indicate all are full.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2017, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

That Klutch 1/2 octopus is an interesting product. I guess everything comes at a cost. $150 is a lotta dough for the minor convenience it might provide....and for the space it's gonna take up.

Quick Reply: Accurate Inline Tire Gauge