Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AC compressor ?s

Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor ?s

Im sitting at work and thinking about how I can get some cheap reliable onboard air. I have read about people picking up AC compressors from junkyards and turning them into onboard air systems... I was wondering if this is possible with the JK but with the factory compressor...? I have not looked under the hood at the AC at all so my apologies if this is a dumb question.

Just curious if it would work? And if it did work... I have some really nice high pressure 12v solenoid valves which I could use to reroute the air on command to a hose fitting. So maybe I could have air when I need it and still use the AC when I need it? (which is never but still...)

Comments please
Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by lasemase72
Im sitting at work and thinking about how I can get some cheap reliable onboard air. I have read about people picking up AC compressors from junkyards and turning them into onboard air systems... I was wondering if this is possible with the JK but with the factory compressor...? I have not looked under the hood at the AC at all so my apologies if this is a dumb question.

Just curious if it would work? And if it did work... I have some really nice high pressure 12v solenoid valves which I could use to reroute the air on command to a hose fitting. So maybe I could have air when I need it and still use the AC when I need it? (which is never but still...)

Comments please
Can't do both with the same compressor.

Good idea, though. You would have to install an additional A/C compressor to use for air.
The electric clutch would be great for this application.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah this was an early morning oversite.. your right wishful thinking.

Last edited by lasemase72; 04-14-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

my uncle did this on his TJ works awesome he never had ac so he went to the junkyard and bought the compressor and brackets and put it in the stock location. i think it could be done if you sacrafice your ac or if you already dont have ac
Old 04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by mjturner1105
my uncle did this on his TJ works awesome he never had ac so he went to the junkyard and bought the compressor and brackets and put it in the stock location. i think it could be done if you sacrafice your ac or if you already dont have ac
Does he still have it?
Did he retain the electric clutch?

Any chance of getting pics?

Quick Reply: AC compressor ?s