Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AC compressor for air?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rexicon
Kilby I believe it is sells new systems. A 12v electric compressor will come nowhere near the output of an engine driven one.
If I had the coin to spend on the Kilby kit (search Google for "kilby on board air"), I'd seriously consider a Warn Powerplant instead. True, the Powerplant can't quite match the output of the York AC compressor (what Kilby uses, as well as what's used by most of the DIY systems I've seen), but it does come very close - maybe a 15 second difference for airing up a 35" tire. The Powerplant does cost about $250 more, but that extra $250 gets you one heck of a winch. Ok, so maybe you'd end up spending a lot more on the Warn if you had to buy a bumper too (and even more if you upgraded to a dual-battery setup at the same time) but you'd be looking at those costs anyway if you were thinking about a winch.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Krynn
If I had the coin to spend on the Kilby kit (search Google for "kilby on board air"), I'd seriously consider a Warn Powerplant instead. True, the Powerplant can't quite match the output of the York AC compressor (what Kilby uses, as well as what's used by most of the DIY systems I've seen), but it does come very close - maybe a 15 second difference for airing up a 35" tire. The Powerplant does cost about $250 more, but that extra $250 gets you one heck of a winch. Ok, so maybe you'd end up spending a lot more on the Warn if you had to buy a bumper too (and even more if you upgraded to a dual-battery setup at the same time) but you'd be looking at those costs anyway if you were thinking about a winch.
I'd suggest the same. Kilby's system on sale now for $1250. GoWarn has the 9,500# Powerplant HP 10% off now for $1262.77 then a $100 rebate for $1162.77 in the end. Unless you planned on running air tools often, I personally couldn't justify it.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya but thats buying a kit. im talking about getting parts and making your own for $300 max
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fleetwood8890
ya but thats buying a kit. im talking about getting parts and making your own for $300 max
Yeah, I don't have the cash to dump on a Powerplant either. So I've been keeping an eye out for a good used York. Every now and then I see one going for under $50, but they've all been sold by the time I get in touch with the seller. I could hit up e-bay, but I'd like to lay hands on it and verify that everything is in working order first.

Quick Reply: AC compressor for air?