Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AC compressor for air?

Old 03-18-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC compressor for air?

Anyone out there ever install a second AC compressor (need longer serp) to use as an air source on their JK? If so where did you mount it and any other info would be great.
thanks,
Old 03-18-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would anyone go through all that aggravation to install a second compressor, that's old technology. There are a few 12 volt compressors on the market that can be mounted just about anywhere.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lg2HsZK9oM
Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rich6700
Why would anyone go through all that aggravation to install a second compressor, that's old technology. There are a few 12 volt compressors on the market that can be mounted just about anywhere.
I know, been looking at the viair 400 or 450 but wanted to see if anyone with a jk went "old school" with an AC compressor.
Thanks for the reply
Old 03-18-2012, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to cost, old school has no factor. DIY is DIY. I know a guy who installed a second AC compressor and a air tank for less than $50. Way cheaper than a $300 electric compressor.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highoctane
When it comes to cost, old school has no factor. DIY is DIY. I know a guy who installed a second AC compressor and a air tank for less than $50. Way cheaper than a $300 electric compressor.
That's exactly why I was asking, to see if i can accomplish the goal of having on board air w/o spending alot of money. Did the guy you know do this on a JK?

Love Ron Paul too, brings some common sense to politics!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

How about the load on the engine? An AC compressor puts quite a load that impacts on the fuel economy. Is that still worth the $ savings?
It will also require to be running the engine to use the compressor. More $$.

I agree the DIY makes it more of a personal option and value. But I would also consider those other factors.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
How about the load on the engine? An AC compressor puts quite a load that impacts on the fuel economy. Is that still worth the $ savings?
It will also require to be running the engine to use the compressor. More $$.

I agree the DIY makes it more of a personal option and value. But I would also consider those other factors.
I'm not sure that the load on the engine would really be a factor... Every setup I've seen has a pressure switch controlling the clutch. And unless you've got a leak in the system, I don't think that the compressor would be running hardly at all under normal operations. Sure, you've got just a touch of extra load on the engine from having it spin that extra pulley and the unloaded clutch, but I doubt that would add up to a measurable loss

Ok, yes, you do have to run the engine to use the compressor. From what some emergency response people have shared, we can expect to burn about 1 gallon per hour idling. If you've got 35" tires aired down to 10psi, it'll take you less than a minute per tire to air back up to the mid 30s. So say fuel costs $4 per gallon; that's around $0.35 of fuel to air up four tires. Now, I'm sure it'll be more efficient to use the battery to power a compressor and then let the alternator recharge it over time, but I think I'd gladly shell out the coin to be done filling all four tires before the electric pump is done filling one.

Last edited by Krynn; 03-18-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

i hope some one dose this im subscribed if i was in the states i would do it for sure but where i am i cant get the parts cost effectively so it will have to wait
Old 03-19-2012, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kilby I believe it is sells new systems. A 12v electric compressor will come nowhere near the output of an engine driven one.

Quick Reply: AC compressor for air?