Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ABS and Traction Control Issues

Old 11-06-2015, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I initially thought the same then realized OP said only when turning right. So thinking one of the sensors is being pulled.
Sounds like it. Long sweeping turns is usually a trigger for tire size. Win some, lose some. Good catch.

Last edited by 14Sport; 11-06-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

While you're checking out those front wheel sensors also check the unit bearings. I've seen them cause the ABS/ESP lights. Look for contamination inside of the unit bearing (mine was from using in a quicksand-filled river) and for a loose/worn/noisy bearing (which perhaps when turning one direction has a more pronounced problem--just a guess). Bear in mind that the unit bearings are filled with grease. But you don't want water/mud/sand in them.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good point, Mark.

And I probably should not assume anything so if you didn't extend your brake and sensor lines enough or at all then I would check that as well.

Last edited by 14Sport; 11-07-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Wheel speed sensor is my bet. Any damage to the lines on the front?
Sorry new to jeeps. Anyone have any pics? Is this a module/plug near the brakes?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

I occasionally get the traction control light, it's only stays on for about 4-5 minutes then goes off.
Anyone have similar issues?

Last edited by POLARIS PRO; 11-16-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Swapped and cleaned out the rear sensors about 2 weeks ago. It seemed to do the trick for about a day, but then the same problem came back.

Rear sensors were swapped (driver side to pass. side, pass side to driver side), but still getting the issue around right hand turns. From what I can see, the front brake lines and sensors have plenty of reach and aren't being pulled around.

Mark, how do I go about checking the unit bearings? I know how to replace them, but unsure how to determine whether or not they are bad. I do get some occasional clicking from my rear brakes, but this seems to go away when I depress the brake pedal. Could this be a sign that the unit bearings are shot? Definitely going to look into this further.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Unit bearings, also called hub bearings, only apply to the front. Rotate each wheel and listen for unusual noise from one (when one of mine failed, the noise was obvious even when driving). With vehicle jacked, grab wheel top and bottom and check for play, then left and right. Play in all directions suggests a bad bearing. Play in only a single direction could indicate other bad parts unrelated to ABS. Pull wheel speed sensor and peer into unit bearing cavity. I find it easiest to loosen the three 13 mm bolts on the back of the unit bearing, slide it out slightly so the dust plate can wiggle, the remove the sensor and feed it through the dust plate hole so it is out of the way. There should be grease, but no other contamination (when another of mine failed it had fine shreds of blackened material in the grease).

Your rear axle has more typical bearings press-fitted on each axle. Instead of axle grease, they are lubed by lube in your differential slopping out to them. Replacement will likely require a machine shop to fit the new ones, as well as the seals. But they are unlikely to cause your ABS lights.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by POLARIS PRO
Sorry new to jeeps. Anyone have any pics? Is this a module/plug near the brakes?
There is a wire harness that goes to each of your wheels. At the end of each one is a sensor that measures how fast that wheel is rotating. Once you find it, removal procedure is pretty obvious, but see what I wrote just above about the front axle unit bearings. When you remove a front wheel, that assembly that has the studs on it is your unit bearing. It is replaced as an entire assembly, including studs and even the sensor. Some places call it a hub bearing.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by POLARIS PRO
I occasionally get the traction control light, it's only stays on for about 4-5 minutes then goes off.
Anyone have similar issues?
You may just need to straighten your steering wheel. That ten minute driveway job is easy, but critical.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Unit bearings, also called hub bearings, only apply to the front. Rotate each wheel and listen for unusual noise from one (when one of mine failed, the noise was obvious even when driving). With vehicle jacked, grab wheel top and bottom and check for play, then left and right. Play in all directions suggests a bad bearing. Play in only a single direction could indicate other bad parts unrelated to ABS. Pull wheel speed sensor and peer into unit bearing cavity. I find it easiest to loosen the three 13 mm bolts on the back of the unit bearing, slide it out slightly so the dust plate can wiggle, the remove the sensor and feed it through the dust plate hole so it is out of the way. There should be grease, but no other contamination (when another of mine failed it had fine shreds of blackened material in the grease).

Your rear axle has more typical bearings press-fitted on each axle. Instead of axle grease, they are lubed by lube in your differential slopping out to them. Replacement will likely require a machine shop to fit the new ones, as well as the seals. But they are unlikely to cause your ABS lights.
Thanks for the info Mark. Going to give this a shot today.

Quick Reply: ABS and Traction Control Issues