Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ABS and Traction Control Issues

Old 11-06-2015, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Traction Control Issues

Hey everyone. For the past few days I've had the ABS and Traction Control warning lights coming on and haven't been able to track down a reason why. I'll do my best to explain what is going on.

Three days ago, while going around a long right hand turn, I felt the rear brakes step in as if the traction control was trying to reduce any slip/spin. This was in the rain and figured it was normal. However, a minute later the ABS and traction control lights came on simultaneously, then went off about a minute later. When the next right hand curve I came up, the exact same thing happened, but the warning lights stayed on until the Jeep was turned off.

After two days of this, it seems that any right hand turn, above 30mph seems to result in the same thing (traction control stepping in when in shouldn't followed by the two warning lights), no matter how aggressive or mild I enter into the turn. None of this occurs while going around left handed turns, which is what is confusing me. Steering wheel has been centered and the Jeep was aligned no more than 3 months ago.

Jeep Specs are as follows: 2012 JKUR, 6 speed, 2.5" AEV lift, 37" Toyo RT's, stock axles, gears (4.10's), driveshafts, and control arms.

Any type of info would be helpful. Hoping that someone has had a similar issue and knows of a solution! Otherwise its going to the stealership on Monday.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Also might be worth to note: Brought my Jeep in for an new BJ's, sleeve, and gussets 3 months ago. They preformed the alignment afterwards and straightened up the steering wheel.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you flashed the computer for the 37s?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Wheel speed sensor is my bet.

Any damage to the lines on the front?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be a wheel sensor but I would expect the lights to be on all the time or randomly, not just in right hand turns. You could try swapping them around if nothing is loose or broken. But I'll stay with my first assessment. Let us know how you make out for future searchers.

Last edited by 14Sport; 11-06-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Clean and swap rear sensors and see what happens!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Have you flashed the computer for the 37s?
Computer has been flashed for 37's. After a bit of research, I'm thinking its the wheel sensors. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
Wheel speed sensor is my bet.

Any damage to the lines on the front?
No damage to the front lines, but am seriously considering swapping to stainless lines. Definitely going to check out the speed sensors. Seems like a common problem.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GunDude
Clean and swap rear sensors and see what happens!
Will do, that was my next move. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Could be a wheel sensor but I would expect the lights to be on all the time or randomly, not just in right hand turns. You could try swapping them around if nothing is loose or broken. But I'll stay with my first assessment. Let us know how you make out for future searchers.
I initially thought the same then realized OP said only when turning right. So thinking one of the sensors is being pulled.

Quick Reply: ABS and Traction Control Issues