Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ABS freakout

Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS freakout

I have an 07 4dr X that my buddy and i have regeared to 4.56 at the auto hobby shop on camp lejuene (courtesey of Northridge4x4) with 33s (for now, plan on changing those for 35s soon) but ever since we changed the gears the ABS starts acting up, making the Jeep slow down and my brake pedal not stop it safley. After a moment it dings and the three dash lights come on, the ABS, the VDC OFF car with drifting tracks behind it and STC/BAS. Then it drives normal but i can hear these clicks that sound alot like what happens when your in 4 low and you shove the clutch to the floor. Does all this mean that the computer needs to be flashed for the new gears? And if it does can i take it to the dealership and have them do it?

Thanks for everyones feedback!

Black Diamond 3 in lift, Superior Ring and Pinion 4.56s, Alloy USA Chromallys front and rear, ARB air lockers front and rear, Warn 9000xi
Old 01-11-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

if its still under warranty, id take it to the dealer and just dont tell them that you changed the gears. im no expert, but i cant see where the gears would affect the abs or esp. i just had similar lights come on (abs, the red BRAKE light, esp, and the car skidding) and it was an abs module. i have a 3 inch lift and 35" tires as well as a couple of other minor mod. mine is an 08 with barely 2000 miles and i was afraid that the dealer would see my mods and not want to honor the warranty. i was pretty sure that my lift and tires didnt have anything to do with the abs system, so i took it in. they took care of it.

corey d
Old 01-11-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

did someone who had experiance change your gears for you?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc916
did someone who had experiance change your gears for you?
x2
I haven't personally done the swap myself, but been studying hardcore on it and getting ready...just trying to figure out exactly what your experiencing, truthfully there can only be so many things that may have gone wrong right? I wouldn't think not flashing the computer would be causing this, but ?? you never know...one thing I've wondered with the limited slip equiped rides and people swapping in lockers, could that could mess the computer, did you do this? If not, I think something got messed in the install
Old 01-11-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

They would have pulled out the axle shafts (which are connected to the hub bearing assembly that houses the abs sensors). They may or may not have pulled the shafts all the way out, but they would have had to pull them out a little ways. There is a good chance that one of the sensors is either disconnected or messed up.

Also, just to make sure this isn't a BAS issue (which can also kick on the ABS light around corners), is your steering wheel perfectly centered?
Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

yes the steering wheel is perfectly centered, we found that out around thanksgiving after the lift kit went on, and yes he has experience, hes done numerous gear swaps and airlocker installs, but he hardley ever has any time to do it cause we are always working. Im wondering too if it could be the limited slip - to - locker issue, cause it didnt start doing it till we regeared it (not really that hard btw) before it was lifted with the 33s; the steering wheel was about 1/4 of a turn off and i had the same problem im having now, after we recentered the steering wheel it fixed it. also noticed that the cruise control wont respond while its in the ABS off state. The dealer said that it could be the gear swap, it could be the tire size change, it could be the ABS lines and sensors, but most importantly it could be anything. yeah he basically said i was on my own. same guy that seemed to care more about where i got the TSB for the squeeling clutch back in 07 than the fact that my brand new jeep clutch was squeeling (which he also couldnt hear and said that all clutches squeel like that ) im going to try taking it back to the hobby shop while all the lights are on and have them plug the diagnoser in and see what it finds out while its in its ABS off state and go from there. ill keep updating this as i move forward on this! If ur on camp lejeune you'll know me because im the one driving the rockred 4dr with the olympic stubby bumper w/warn winch sitting on 33s, usually covered in mud/sand and still have the stock spare on it. im always in the hobby shop on the weekends, say hi if you see me

Quick Reply: ABS freakout