Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

About to Start College... Need a Little Help...

Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety

Originally Posted by terribad16
So im about to start college, and i was wondering if any of you guys knew a good way for me to be able to leave my top and doors off and not have to worry about anything happening to the jeep... I keep my console and glove compartment locked all the time, but when at school ill be there from about 9-4, which in my eyes is alot of time for someone to try to make off with the jeep... I could just be worrying to much about this, but i really dont want anything to happen to it... so what do you think could help me have some piece of mind while at school? is there a certain alarm i should have? or a way to make sure the jeep cant start unless i let it??? I dont mind spending alot of money or whatever i have to do, id say its worth it to keep the jeep safe... I just really dont want to have to leave the doors and top on the whole semester... so any advice from you guys would be awesome
Locks will only keep honest people out... If a person is going to take something, a lock, top, door, etc. will not stop them..

Don't leave anothing in your Jeep that you will miss if goes missing. Leave the top and doors off and enjoy your Jeep.

Joel
Old 08-22-2010, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm all about going light....agile, mobile, and hostile....but he is a college kid, at that age I lived out of my vehicle so not ever leaving stuff in the jeep aint' a reality.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two words

LO JACK

Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-186-1...go-drawer.aspx
Old 08-22-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Depending on what school ur at I would say leave everything on. I know how stupid young students are and I would be more concerned about cigarette's and big gulps getting tossed into a open jeep on campus more then someone jacking it.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by USCG-JK
Depending on what school ur at I would say leave everything on. I know how stupid young students are and I would be more concerned about cigarette's and big gulps getting tossed into a open jeep on campus more then someone jacking it.
Bingo.
I had my CJ7 at school and random trash was my only real concern. I had a hard top that stayed on during the winter, but it spent most of fall and spring topless. (and all of summer, since I worked near campus to pay for my education)
I kept a tool box under the front seat and had big Pioneer home speakers strapped in as "back seat passengers."
It wasn't a pretty or new Jeep, but it was my Jeep and it got me everywhere I needed or wanted to go.....

Nowadays, depending on the liberal nature of the student population, you might also have to worry about vandalism to your "evil carbon generator."
Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but I heard somewhere on JKF that the key on the JK makes it to where you can't start it without it being in the ignition.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I recommend Tuffy security products. I have a center console in my CJ7 and unless the thief is a pro, he's not getting into it. The new Jeeps with the chipped keys help to deter thieves from stealing the vehicle, but you could always put in a kill switch (redundant) or a good security alarm. Check the auto crime rate in that area. Secure everything of value. Get good insurance. Most importantly enjoy the Jeep. And if it does happen to get jacked, post the description, location, and date up here and anyone local to that area will keep their eyes open. Have fun at college, but not too much fun. Took me a little longer than four years, but they were some kickass years, and with my CJ7 no less!!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know a guy that has alot of classic mussle cars and some of the have some interesting starting techniques.

1 car the seat must be slid all the back, the headlight put on highbeams and the heater on with no fan.

But I think there is too much that can fail with stuff like that. Plus as was mentioned earlier think of all the stuff people could do to your interior.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Drunk a-holes + open cars don't mix. Hope its an old Jeep - if not, buy a beater.

Quick Reply: About to Start College... Need a Little Help...