Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

About to Start College... Need a Little Help...

Old 08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to Start College... Need a Little Help...

So im about to start college, and i was wondering if any of you guys knew a good way for me to be able to leave my top and doors off and not have to worry about anything happening to the jeep... I keep my console and glove compartment locked all the time, but when at school ill be there from about 9-4, which in my eyes is alot of time for someone to try to make off with the jeep... I could just be worrying to much about this, but i really dont want anything to happen to it... so what do you think could help me have some piece of mind while at school? is there a certain alarm i should have? or a way to make sure the jeep cant start unless i let it??? I dont mind spending alot of money or whatever i have to do, id say its worth it to keep the jeep safe... I just really dont want to have to leave the doors and top on the whole semester... so any advice from you guys would be awesome
Old 08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could pull the fuel pump fuse or something, just remember where it goes!

As far as locking the glove box or console, I don't feel that is a good idea. It brings up "wonder" to someone trying to get in. If they want it, they'll get it, or break it enough for you to have to replace it. Easy fix is to leave nothing of value and leave those unlocked.

Just my opinion!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:37 PM
JK Jedi

Default Re: About to Start College... Need a Little Help...

Unplug the coil pack.

Sent from my Droid
Old 08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

ooooooo rottweiler!!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:39 AM
JK Freak

If I remember right, daylight hour parking in a college town is good for jeeps. Nighttime parking can be bad for jeeps. You should be fine, like someone else said if it gets messed up too bad, just file a claim.

Don't let it stop you from enjoying your jeep!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

You can do a few things that will help. But, keep in mind you are only trying to stop the thief of opportunity. A determined professional thief will get his job done.

Tuffy makes some great products. I have the full console, glove box, and under seat myself. They also make a large box for the 4doors.

The next thing is a alarm system with proximity sensor. You can set them up so if a person sticks their hand into the jeep it will go off. There are few write-ups on this forum.

Your jeep already has the sentry key system which is pretty good. With this they either have to steal your key too or tow the whole jeep away. Once again you can only stop the "smash and grab" type thief. So disabling your jeep by other means is overkill and a nuisance.

Keep items out of sight, buy the lockable stuff from Tuffy, and putting in an alarm system is as good as you can get. Even if you leave on your hard top and doors all of these are good ideas. I say do what you can and enjoy driving topless.

Last edited by toymaster; 08-21-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have mom and dad buy you another vehicle, maybe a shitty one like I had to suffer with while in college, and keep the nice jeep in a safe place. College kids love to f- with stuff.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
You could pull the fuel pump fuse or something, just remember where it goes!

As far as locking the glove box or console, I don't feel that is a good idea. It brings up "wonder" to someone trying to get in. If they want it, they'll get it, or break it enough for you to have to replace it. Easy fix is to leave nothing of value and leave those unlocked.

Just my opinion!
X2 on the point of not leaving anything of real value in the buggy. I go all over and park anywhere without the top up or doors on. I leave the glove box and arm rest box unlocked just so it doesn't get all busted up for nothing.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

check to see if you have a port that looks like this with a plug like this in it

If so just pull this plug out and even with a key the jeep will not start. The port is located just under steering wheel at the bottom of the dash.Im not sure all jeeps have them
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-08-17 08.36.26..jpg
Views:	60
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	82927   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-08-17 08.36.50..jpg
Views:	53
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	82928  
Old 08-21-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie

Is there high crime in the area? My two cents would be to leave the doors and top off and enjoy it. Just don't leave anything worth stealing inside.

Quick Reply: About to Start College... Need a Little Help...