Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

About rough country 4" x-series kit

Old 01-27-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About rough country 4" x-series kit

Hi to everybody!

Apart from the presentation post, and two posts in the part of “buying”, that I shouldn’t have posted (I didn’t understand the rules of the Forum ), this is my first main post.

I write from Spain and I want to ask you about one suspension kit, the Rough Country 4” X-Series Kit. This is it:

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_4flex.html

I know that people has written about Rough Country among the Forum, and I’ve read everything that I found using the “search system”, but I can’t take out any conclusions about what I’ve read. I would like more clear answers to my questions, because I may buy that kit here in Spain and it’s important for me to know some things before. These are my questions:

-Is Rough Country a good brand?. Is it well known and considered in the US?. What are they famous for, being good kits or being bad kits?.

-Is the Kit that I show today, with the 8 arms, a good Kit?. I must say about this that I don’t practice extreme wheeling. Because of my job I must drive through a lot of mud and snow, but I don’t usually drive by very “difficult” places. So I could say that the wheeling level that I practice is medium, not high and neither very low (I’ve had problems with mud more than once).

-Does the Kit really give the full 4” promised or finally we get less high?. Is it a good quality Kit?. Why the huge diference in price between this Kit and others that offer the same like Rubicon Express, Full raction or Teraflex?.

-Mine is a 2 Door JK, and I would like to know if this Kit is enough to gain the
4” promised and mount 35s, or if I must change or reinforce any other parts of the JK.

-Is this Kit finished to allow more weight at the front, like a Rugged Ridge Bumper, skidplate, and winch?. Won’t it go down with such extra weight?.

-Are the kits for JK 2 Door and JK 4 Door the same but with the diference that the one for 4 Door may hang more weight?. If so, would it be better if I fit on my 2 Door JK the 4 Door Kit?.

-My last question is if you know any good dealer in the US, like Quadratec or
4WD who has Rough Country on sale and who sends items abroad overseas. (It's cheaper to get items sent from US than buying them here). I mailed for 3 times the people of Rough Country, and to all their departments, asking if I could buy directly to them, or to tell me about a dealer, and they haven’t answered me at all. I guess thay are not too educated people. Educated people at least answer and these guys haven’t, so maybe the Kits are nice but they are not too serious people.

Thanks a lot for reading me and I hope you all answer something and help me to make a decition. And sorry for my English.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default 4 inch Basic Kit

I have the 4 inch basic rough country kit that uses stock arms and no cambolts. it sounds like we do very similiar wheeling and I think you will be very happy with its performance. If the control arms and adjustable track bars of the new X-series kit fix the minor complaints I have with my kit then your set! great price for our needs! i plan on buying rough countrys adjustable x-flex arms very soon and adding 37's. My kit lifted 4" in the front and 3.75" in the rear.. havent checked since to see if its sagged at all but i havent noticed. correct me if im wrong but you dont sound like your going to be really flexing the kit to its fullest. I dont see you having any problems with 35's given the right backspacing! My only concern with 37's is my rubi rails are a little close to the back tire. Those are the stock rubi rims and tires
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2dr 4in RC.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	36124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back Tire.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	36125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Tire.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	36126  
Old 01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your answer, Michael!!. Your Rubi looks great...And claims bigger tres also!!.

C'mon, guys, no more opinions??
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Muchas gracias por la contestación. Hablas muy bien el castellano. (Al menos, lo escribes muy bien).

Me ha servido de mucho lo que me has dicho. Estoy pensando ahora seriamente poner el Kit de Teraflex de 2'5" de muelles y amortiguadores (shocks and springs) y, además, un bodylift de 1".

Ya tenía las direcciones de Quadratec y de 4WD. De hecho mucha gente de España compra en esos dos sitios y están todos muy contentos con sus servicios porque son gente muy seria.

Bueno, no te molesto más. Voy a seguir pidiendo opiniones antes de decidirme por Teraflex. Quiero estar seguro de todo antes de adqurir mi Kit.

Recibe un afectuoso saludo desde España.

Ah, y enhorabuena por vivir en Montana. Por todas las peliculas y reportajes de televisión que he visto, es el Estado más bonito de los Estados Unidos.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

No more answers about Rough Country?. Please, I need more opinions!!. Come on!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

I don't know what was said in Spanish above, but keep in mind that with 4" lift you will need new driveshafts, control arms and track bars. Make sure you have those factored into your cost.

Based on what I have read, the Rough Country products are not bad, but there are better products available. If you don't have much money, and if you are not going to do hardcore wheeling, you will be fine with their kit. I prefer the Teraflex gear because they make excellent products and have superb customer service. If you email them, they WILL reply! If you plan to add bumpers and other heavy gear later, I would realy recommend the Teraflex lift because they have heavy duty springs that can handle the weight. You could also order directly from them and tell them that you will add bumpers and want to make sure you get springs with your kit that can handle it.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for your answer, Rocker.

Planman is a nice US guy from Montana who speaks nice Spanish and he has adviced me almost the same as you've done. He has also told me about Teraflex benefits. He has also told me about driveshafts to be changed. Uff, I didn't know about this. I thought that changing control arms would be enough. The RC Kit comes with the 8 control arms, but not with driveshafts.

Well, as I've told him, I think I will make up my mind and choose Teraflex 2'5" lift kit with springs, shocks and recolocated back trackbar. Apart front trackbar and steering shock. Maybe I could also add a 1" bodylift or fit the 35s and see how it looks before bodylift.

As I've seen in Teraflex, you may go on adding parts as time goes by. I mean, now I could fit the 2'5" Kit and next year or so fit 1'5" coil spacers and control arms.

Yes, probably that will be the best solution.

Again thanks a lot!!.

Hey, and you're right, people from Teraflex have answered me in less than one hour!!. Yes, sure tey are more serious people than RC ones.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap! Planman- Duke of Dialect now, and still all reigning King of the Bumpstop.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Generalmente, Rough Country se conoce por fabricar y vender suspensiones y componentes con punto de precio de nivel mas bajo. Utilizan materiales de casi poco menos calidad para poder vender sus productos pricipalmente a novatos de la aficion de conduciendo en 4x4 en las piedras y el barro. Por ejemplo, la tuberia de acero que la cual fabrica no es tan fuerte como varios otros fabricadores.

Tambien, para poder vender sus productos a precio mas bajo, tipicamente sus sistemas o kit de suspensiones son incompletas. El kit a la que refieres es mas completo de sus otros productos.

Para los que no hacen el 4x4 en lugaros duros, los productos de Rough Country pueden satisfacer sus necisidades.

Quizas se da quenta que los productos de Teraflex, Rock Krawler, y Currie se cuesten casi lo mismo para sus sistemas de suspension. Es por que esos companias fabrican con calidad similares de acero, goma, y otros materiales. Sus sistemas son de alta calidad comparicido con las de Rough Country.

No quiero decir que los productos de Rough Country son malos. Sino, explico que la diferencia en precio resulta de las diferencias de calidad de materiales y el nivel de integridad de todas las partes que una persona seria y dura de 4x4 quisiese tener en una sistema o kit de suspension. Rough Country vende sus productos directamente al publico. Tendrias que llamarles acerca de embarque internacional.

Debes saber que con un JK de dos puertas, si eleveyas mas de tres pulgadas, tendras problemas con el eje de transmision (driveshaft) de atras. A las quatro pulgadas con el kit de Rough Country, trendrias que comprar ejes de transmision de atras y para el frente de tu JK.

Creo que lo que quieres es un kit de suspension de 2,5 pulgadas de Teraflex con amortiguadores. Para un JK de dos puertas, recibiras mas de 3 pulgadas en el frente y un poco menos de 3 pulgadas por detras. Asi que no seria necesario comprar ejes de transmision (driveshafts). Ese kit de suspension viene con lo que necesarias tener para usar neumaticos de 35 pulgadas. Tambien sujeriria un trackbar (no se como decir) por delante y control arms (no se como decir) ajustable por delante y abajo. El trackbar y los control arms ayudaran mejorar las especificaciones de alineacion y el mandejo del JK. No son precisamente necesarios, pero basta la pena tener los.

Proximo, vas a necesitar ruedas que tienen menos backspacing (no se como decirlo en castellano pero explicare si es necessario). Sin menos backspacing, la rueda y el neumatico friccionaria a la conexion de swaybar atras (no se como decir swaybar).

Tambien, ese kit de suspension de 2,5 pulgadas de Teraflex puede llevar mas peso por delante. Sin embargo, si colocas un cabrestante por delante, querias comprar un separado de 0,5 pulgadas encima de las ballestas por delante. Ese kit contiene ballestas que funcionen con los JK de 4 o de 2 puertas. Asi que produce mas de 2,5 pulgadas para un JK de 2 puertas.

Parece que 4wd.com tiene un departemento internacional:

http://www.4wd.com/info/international-orders.aspx

Tambien, Quadratec se vende accessarios internacionalmente:

http://www.quadratec.com/policies/shipping_policy.php
(Se refiere a embarque internacional abajo en la hoja de web.)

No tengo mucha oportunidad de hablar o escribir en castellano en el estado de Montana. Estudie castellano en la universidad. Pero nos mudamos a Montana depues de que hice un master en la administracion de negocios. Ahora, hago la planificacion financiero principalmente para personas jubiladas.

Asi que, lo siento por mi castellano. No tengo mucha practica. Ni aprendi mucho vocabulario mecanico. Tengo 43 anos y han pasado mas de 20 anos desde que lo estudie en la universidad.

Y, bienvenidos al Forum.

Well done planman ... Now for your spanish lessons...

Trackbar - En México utilizamos el mismo término "trackbar"
Swaybar - Barra Estabilizadora
Control Arms - Brazos de suspensión (Inferior y Superior)
Driveshafts - Flechas
CV Driveshafts - Flechas Doble Nudo

Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Gracias.

La traduccion tiene sentido.
De nada

Quick Reply: About rough country 4" x-series kit