Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

About to pull the trigger - down to 4 tire choices

Old 03-24-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to pull the trigger - down to 4 tire choices

1. Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac (right now this is my first choice)
2. BFG All-Terrain T/A KO (what I have now)
3. Kumho Road Venture MT KL71 (seem good but worried about sidewall strength and general wear)
4. Firestone Destination M/T (reviews say very loud on road)

Price is a factor...

I currently have the BFG T/A KO's and really love them but are starting to wear out. I'm totally wiling l to just get them again, such a great tire. But... I'd also be interested in a tire that is a bit better than them off road and..

a) still offer decent gas milliage
b) won't rob me of power on the streets
c) will last at least as long as my BFG's did (almost 60k)

I don't get a chance to wheel as often as I would like but when I do, I like a challange... I just got new rims so I'm going from 18's to 17's and going up from 33's to 35"s. I've been researching this for about 2 weeks now. I have read I think every review and opinion out there. I can't make a decision.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

DuraTrac, can't say enough about them.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

The kumho was a great tire for the first 20k. After that the slight hum turned to "hear you coming 2miles away". Only got about 40k out of them. Great on wet roads even at the end of it life. Now I have falken rocky mountain AT and love them.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Duratrac. Love them. Look great and perform great. No experience with the other two tires.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running the Firestone Destination M/T in summer, they are really great tires, but I would be surprised if they make 60K, even 50K. They are MT, yes they hum at highway speed.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have kumho road ventures. Have about 25-30k on them and half tread left. Sound is just as low as when I got them. They aren't loud at all. I'm actually impressed with the road noise. My intake is louder than the tires. I've never rock crawled with them so no review there but they perform excellent in the mud, stay in 2wd most of time, and clean themselves out. Also have excellent road manners. Only issue is they are directional so you can only do a front to rear rotation unless you remount tires.

Now with that said I'll be switching to toyo open country just to try something different.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Duratracs.... However, you can't put "35's" and "Not robbed of power" in the same sentence.. hehe

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I liked Duratracs enough that I bought them again when the first set wore out. My only caution is if you will run with really low tire pressure (12-15 PSI or lower), the sidewall is vulnerable to cuts on rocks. I now run 18-20 PSI for overlanding, and carry two spares on trips to more remote areas.

Check out my videos on YouTube "DigitalByDoiron" to see how they perform. "Kinta 2" has some pretty good terrain. So does part 1 of "Colorado Campaign", but my Jeep didn't go. However, the black two door and very dark green (looks black) four door are running Duratracs.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

I've got almost 60k on my BFG's as well. If it were me, I'd probably go with them again just on price alone right now.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Junkie

The dura's and bfg's are decent in the rain and ice due to siping- so is that a factor for you? They're also both AT's whereas your other two are MT's. The firestones get great reviews but I don't see where it's fair to put the Kumho in the same category as the others.

What do you do with them? The bfg's will actually come in a 35" variant though it'll measure 34" but the dura's will only come in a 34" with an unknown measurement. So are you concerned with actual height or just a number on the sidewall that says 35?

The bfg's have been good to me through the years and anymore I'd want to run them just so I'm not "that jeep with duras" (or nitto tg's, mtrk's, km2's, toyo's) like everyone else. I've had issues with goodyears picking up everything in the road, so I personally wouldn't buy based on that.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger - down to 4 tire choices