Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

About to make the jump

Old 07-30-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So checking out some other threads I see some of the additions I would have to make for 37s compared to 35s include regearing for the auto tranny (unless I want no acceleration and horrible off road performance), possible replacement axle, and bumpstops.

I am thinking about going with the BFG KM2's, they seem to be praised and light.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what gears? Looking on Northridge, I see that the Yukon High Performance Yukon Ring & Pinion gear set Dana Spicer 44 JK Rubicon 5.38 ratio set is fairly priced compared to some others, but that seems odd, does it require some other product as well? Sorry, my mechanical knowledge is lacking.

What size bumpstops will I need? I still plan to go with the OME 3" long arm kit. Coil wise I will follow Dirtman's advice of HD front (for future bumper and winch plans) but do light in back since I will need a tire carrier for a spare 37".

Now that I think about it, for guys with 37"s, do you even buy a fifth? Will the stock tire work in case of a flat? I forget if it's 32 or 33, but I think back to cars with their donut spares, those work for a short term solution. I guess the stock would look weird when the rest are 5-4 inches larger, even on though it's on the back.

Being on Guam, it's rare that I go 60, normally 50 at most, the island wide limit is 35. Even though this is my DD, I don't go far. So acceleration isn't a big deal, but performance off road is.

Will the stock axles handle the extra weight without failing? I hear people complaining about the front (D30?) being somewhat weak.

Should I consider a new rear driveshaft as well to compliment the front?

I would rather put a bunch of money in from the get go to have a solid foundation for the 37s to ensure a long lasting investment.

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by fattypros; 07-30-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: About to make the jump