Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

8 in. VS 10 in. and BS- offset wheels fitment

Old 03-03-2007, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 in. VS 10 in. and BS- offset wheels fitment

I was just using this wheel calculator http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp . Anyways I was comparing a 16 x 10 (4.5 BS and -24 mm offset vs a 16 x 8 (4in BS and -11 MM offset). My previous thinking had been that the tire would stick out another 1.5 inches (- the .5 BS difference) on the 10 inch rim. I had even cancelled my 10 inch rim order and ordered the 8s. But unless I am missing something, it appears the 8 inch rim would stick out farther than the 10? Am i missreading this? The reason I had been considering that 10 inch rim was because the 315/75/16 TOYOs are extra wide 12.9, and with that much sidewall showing on a 16 inch rim, I felt maybe the 10 wouldnt look so pinched in as the 8. We have no rocks around here, so that is not a factor, just mud. Any rim backspace gurus, what is your opinion? Ideally I wanted 17x9s, but they not avail in my rim.

Tire specs here also http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/produ...egory=off-road

thanks
Old 03-03-2007, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Go with the 8" rims, the 10's will look retarded. The 8's will not "balloon" out too much, it will look fine. and you have less chance of popping a bead.
The 10's will stick out 1.5" more than the 8's. 8" with 4" backspacing means 4" on either side. The 10" has 5.5 on the outside and 4.5" on the inside
Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Ya really don't need 10 each rims for those tires
Old 03-04-2007, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chartguy
I was just using this wheel calculator http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp . Anyways I was comparing a 16 x 10 (4.5 BS and -24 mm offset vs a 16 x 8 (4in BS and -11 MM offset). My previous thinking had been that the tire would stick out another 1.5 inches (- the .5 BS difference) on the 10 inch rim. I had even cancelled my 10 inch rim order and ordered the 8s. But unless I am missing something, it appears the 8 inch rim would stick out farther than the 10?
I find it's easiest to ignore the backspacing numbers when you're comparing wheels of various widths, it will just cause confusion.

A wheel with -11MM offset is pushed away from the vehicle half an inch from the centerline of the wheel.

A wheel with -24MM offset is pushed away from the vehicle a full inch from the centerline of the wheel.

So, if you mount a tire on a -24MM offset wheel, half an inch MORE tire will stick out of your wheel well than if you mount the same tire on a -11MM wheel, more or less. Notice how the wheel width doesn't even matter, because offsets are measured from the center of the wheel. I am lying a little bit here, because a wider wheel will also make the tire a little wider when mounted, but it's not much.

So, in your case, the 16x10 with -24mm offset would stick about half an inch more tire out of the wheel well than a 16x8 with -11MM offset, plus a little bit more if you take into account the additional tire width on the 10" wide wheel.

-E
Old 03-04-2007, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the posts guys, I am just gonna stick with the 8s.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Using the example above, there is another way to figure out the difference between the two wheels.

(10 - 4.5) - (8 - 4) = 1.5 more inches out than the 8" wheel. Just an estimate, but pretty good.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Using the example above, there is another way to figure out the difference between the two wheels.

(10 - 4.5) - (8 - 4) = 1.5 more inches out than the 8" wheel. Just an estimate, but pretty good.
The edge of the wheel sits 1.5 inches further out. The tire sidewall only sits .5 inches further out (since the wheel is 2 inches wider to begin with). This is why backspacing is confusing when discussing wheels of different widths. The tire is what you're really worried about, since chances are the tire is what is going to rub.

-E
Old 03-05-2007, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

You guys are forgetting a factor... a 10" wheel will pull the tire sidewalls out farther and move the tread out 1/2 the distance. That's going to equal less rubbing at full steering lock. 12"+ tires are made for 10" wheels. You guys that run skinny wheels kill me!! lol. I think it looks ridiculous when the tire looks like it's gonna pop over the bead. That's just me. I guess it's fine for rocks, but on a street driven machine it's unnecessary. Also, if you run a wider tire and chalk it, you'll find it will require more air to chalk correctly. More air=harder tire=less rolling resistance=better gas mileage=drives better. Not by alot, but noticeable. I've run both and prefer the 10".

Quick Reply: 8 in. VS 10 in. and BS- offset wheels fitment