Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

6spd transmission water intrusion prevention

Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6spd transmission water intrusion prevention

Has anyone tackled/solutioned the transmission breather/shifting while submerged issue? Looking for ideas. I know about the axle breather relocation.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryanm
Has anyone tackled/solutioned the transmission breather/shifting while submerged issue? Looking for ideas. I know about the axle breather relocation.
If you do some searches for breather hose extensions there actually is an extension kit that includes the tranny as well...

I believe it's from river raider.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe the damage caused by shifting under water will be resolved by extending the breather on top of the transmission.
That breather tube is just a vent as far as I can tell. It may keep some water out of the trans fluid if your in way too deep but not the clutch itself.

Crawl under your jeep and look for a big open slot in the bottom of your bell housing right behind the engine block.

That large gap is very low to the ground, wide open and leads directly to your clutch and all of it's associated components.
Pressure plate, throwout bearing, rear main engine seal, springs, fingers, etc.

Mix mud, sand and small rocks in with all those fast moving parts by driving too deep and pushing left pedal down, clutch go boom.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOST
I don't believe the damage caused by shifting under water will be resolved by extending the breather on top of the transmission.
That breather tube is just a vent as far as I can tell. It may keep some water out of the trans fluid if your in way too deep but not the clutch itself.

Crawl under your jeep and look for a big open slot in the bottom of your bell housing right behind the engine block.

That large gap is very low to the ground, wide open and leads directly to your clutch and all of it's associated components.
Pressure plate, throwout bearing, rear main engine seal, springs, fingers, etc.

Mix mud, sand and small rocks in with all those fast moving parts by driving too deep and pushing left pedal down, clutch go boom.
What he said. Shifting while submerged is more damaging to your clutch than anything else.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was hoping there was an aftermarket solution for this, but doesn't sound promising.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Low and slow, that's the solution. Put er in low, keep it under 10mph, 5 in deep holes, and if you get stuck put her in N and grab a strap. Keeping your jeans dry isn't worth a clutch.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Maybe some bigger tires
Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by familytime
Maybe some bigger tires
Boom. Problem solved.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Already running 37's, 6" TFlex springs on a Full Traction Long arm kit with JKS ACOS Pro set for 2" front and rear. Not looking to run in water up to my alternator, just worried if I got into a hole I didn't find that I could get out. I should already have wet jeans before I get into that kind of mess

Last edited by Ryanm; 03-05-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 6spd transmission water intrusion prevention