Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

60s

Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKred

What are you scared of breaking?

The rear housing is a larger/stronger tubing than the factory front. If you're still concerned about strength, Artec industries makes a full bridge truss for the D44 rear axle that still allows use of factory mounts.

The factory rubicon shafts are 32 spline. D60's commonly come in 35 spline. This picture below shows the diameter difference between 30 spline, 32 spline, and 35 spine.

You can upgrade the rear D44 to 35 spline, however I do not believe the full length of the shaft is 35 spline diameter.

The next gen D44 ring gear is 8.8" in diameter, where the standard D60 is 9.75". The larger diameter allows more tooth contact at any given time, and/or larger teeth.

Depending on what aftermarket axle you get, you can choose between semi float and full float. Semi float supports the weight of the vehicle on the axle shaft/flange and transmits it to the housing. In some cases hard wheeling can bend the axle flange. D44 axles are semi float. With a semi float 60 you can possibly keep your factory bolt pattern of 5x5.

A full float 60 uses an axle shaft independent of the wheel flange and outer wheel bearing. The weight of the vehicle is only supported by the housing, and the axle shaft is spline cut at both ends. There is significantly less stress on the axle shaft, and in the event of a breakage the axle can be removed without losing the wheel mounting surface. The drawback is you will need to replace your wheels, as the minimum BP required for a full float hub is 5x5.5, and is commonly 8x6.5.

I could go on, but in my opinion, keep the 44. From what I can tell you have a lightly armored 2 door. Get some chromoly rear axle shafts, truss the axle if your still concerned, and wheel. You will save significant money in the end. And from what I can tell you prolly don't need a D60.

Oh, and FYI. Trail series is a semi float, stock width axle (I believe low pinion). Pro rock is custom width, high pinion, semi float (upgradable to full float), and has dynatrac a signature high clearance cut housing. It's all I their website.

I figured I'd help you learn rather than just try to sell you a product.
The white one is my old jeep I'm running a 4 door with a ripp super charger now with 37s and rock monter bead locks and 5.13s
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

trail series is cheaper and can be upgraded to a prorock housing. it can be ordered stock width or 68.5". you need a new shorter drive shaft because the pinion protudes farther on the pumpkin. you can get this with stock bolt pattern. fyi...the trail series with prorock upgrade and 68.5" width is the same axle as the reg prorock 60 semi float....just cheaper since there are less options to add to it. they charge more for the reg prorock due to all of the possible vsariances that need to be accounted for.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I need to sit down and see what I really need
Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by k.baker B.D.O.R
I guess I need to sit down and see what I really need
How hard are you wheeling it?

Last edited by chris@offroadevolution; 02-18-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Moderate I am really trying hard to get on the jkx and I'd like to be able to do that maybe a pr44 could be an option
Old 02-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by k.baker B.D.O.R
Moderate I am really trying hard to get on the jkx and I'd like to be able to do that maybe a pr44 could be an option
You dont need 60's to be picked for JKX You can run 37's on Dana 44's, Its not going to explode on you.

Last edited by chris@offroadevolution; 02-19-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to differ with Chris' comment just a bit.

With 37's it MAY not explode. 37's seem to be a question mark and depends on vehicle weight and style of wheeling. With 35 spline shafts in a 44, the ring gear is the failure point.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know it probably won't and I know you don't need 60s but most of the trails they run I'd try and I'm not a lead foot so idk maybe run it till she breaks is trussing and sleveing a bad idea
Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep ways 6280 minus maybe 150 or 200 for snow I had iron a quarry scale this weekend
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there anything more I can do to make my 44s hold up

Quick Reply: 60s