Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

60s

Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60s

So I've been tossing arou d the idea of getting 60 rears I'm really leaning toward the dynatrac but I'm looking for info wondering iffy stock drive shafts well work with these axles and what is the difference between the trail series and pro rock please help also open to other axle choices at this point
Old 02-18-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best as I can tell a trail 60 is basically a stock dana 60 and a prorock 60 is a fabricated housing that is a bit beefier. If I was going to spend your money I would look at a full floating rear end. That adds a much larger bearing area and will handle components a bit off balance without chewing things up. The downside if you want to look at it that way is that you are going to need larger pattern wheels. But you were probably going to replace them anyway. Something I struggle with all the time is what makes sense to add and what doesnt. Does it make sense to spend 15k on new axles then toss on another 5k in wheels and tires or should I just go buy a buggy for 20k that I can beat the snot out of and not worry about it breaking.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

May have to change your drive shafts.You could always build some 60's or even a 14 bolt.What are you running for the front?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by k.baker B.D.O.R
So I've been tossing arou d the idea of getting 60 rears I'm really leaning toward the dynatrac but I'm looking for info wondering iffy stock drive shafts well work with these axles and what is the difference between the trail series and pro rock please help also open to other axle choices at this point
You will want the Prorock for clearance.
If you need to upgrade to a Prorock 60 for strength, you are going to need a strong driveshaft to go with it. As the factory shafts are not strong or repairable once broken.

We're Dynatrac's biggest vendor, please give us a call to discuss your options.
Chris

Last edited by chris@offroadevolution; 02-18-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Right now I have a stock 44 trused and c gussets with rcv shafts and 513 rears its a rubicon axle
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution

You will want the Prorock for clearance.
If you need to upgrade to a Prorock 60 for strength, you are going to need a strong driveshaft to go with it. As the factory shafts are not strong or repairable once broken.

We're Dynatrac's biggest vendor, please give us a call to discuss your options.
Chris
I haven't broke my stock 44 yet I run 37s but I'm scared to run it offroad because I know it's weak
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

I love my PR60 rear.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

My understanding is that the Trail is a low pinion and the Pro Rock is a high pinion. For a rear axle, the hp is a weaker design but has better clearance.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I don't need one but I'm trying to figure that out and I really don't wanna get new rims and stuff
Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by k.baker B.D.O.R
I haven't broke my stock 44 yet I run 37s but I'm scared to run it offroad because I know it's weak
What are you scared of breaking?

The rear housing is a larger/stronger tubing than the factory front. If you're still concerned about strength, Artec industries makes a full bridge truss for the D44 rear axle that still allows use of factory mounts.

The factory rubicon shafts are 32 spline. D60's commonly come in 35 spline. This picture below shows the diameter difference between 30 spline, 32 spline, and 35 spine.

You can upgrade the rear D44 to 35 spline, however I do not believe the full length of the shaft is 35 spline diameter.

The next gen D44 ring gear is 8.8" in diameter, where the standard D60 is 9.75". The larger diameter allows more tooth contact at any given time, and/or larger teeth.

Depending on what aftermarket axle you get, you can choose between semi float and full float. Semi float supports the weight of the vehicle on the axle shaft/flange and transmits it to the housing. In some cases hard wheeling can bend the axle flange. D44 axles are semi float. With a semi float 60 you can possibly keep your factory bolt pattern of 5x5.

A full float 60 uses an axle shaft independent of the wheel flange and outer wheel bearing. The weight of the vehicle is only supported by the housing, and the axle shaft is spline cut at both ends. There is significantly less stress on the axle shaft, and in the event of a breakage the axle can be removed without losing the wheel mounting surface. The drawback is you will need to replace your wheels, as the minimum BP required for a full float hub is 5x5.5, and is commonly 8x6.5.

I could go on, but in my opinion, keep the 44. From what I can tell you have a lightly armored 2 door. Get some chromoly rear axle shafts, truss the axle if your still concerned, and wheel. You will save significant money in the end. And from what I can tell you prolly don't need a D60.

Oh, and FYI. Trail series is a semi float, stock width axle (I believe low pinion). Pro rock is custom width, high pinion, semi float (upgradable to full float), and has dynatrac a signature high clearance cut housing. It's all I their website.

I figured I'd help you learn rather than just try to sell you a product.

Quick Reply: 60s