Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

60 axle

Old 04-24-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60 axle

My dad gave me a 60 rear axle out of a 78 f250 and I'm thinking about redoing it and using it in the rear of my jeep. I'm pretty sure it's going to be wider than mine now. I'm looking for some info on what all will have to be done besides all the brackets. Could I leave it the width it is and buy a front that's the same width? Also could I get axle shafts that are jk pattern for it.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What's your skill set?
Check out this thread, lots of good info.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-60-jk-273250/

Originally Posted by Flexer07
My dad gave me a 60 rear axle out of a 78 f250 and I'm thinking about redoing it and using it in the rear of my jeep. I'm pretty sure it's going to be wider than mine now. I'm looking for some info on what all will have to be done besides all the brackets. Could I leave it the width it is and buy a front that's the same width? Also could I get axle shafts that are jk pattern for it.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do it up. its really not bad imo. mines out of a 79 dodge i believe. But you can swap the hub to a 5x5.5 bolt pattern for sure if it is a full floater, but not sure on a 5x5. Then you could adapt 5x5.5 to 5x5 But to swap hubs and get a front also in 5x5 thats not aftermarket will get pricey if i recall correctly. Id personally just get new rims, also probably more cost effective. You will probably have to swap yokes and gears and such. D60s carrier break is also 4.10 so im sure you will need a new carrier/locker. Brackets arent to bad especially if your going coilover/ori. Im also assuming its drum brakes wich you would want to convert? Also im thinking its a 30 spline axle shaft not a 16 correct?
Also odds are to fit a 35 spline axle shaft you would have to bore the spindle. Im not 100 percent on this, but pretty sure. You can take a micrometer to the splindle and see if a 1.5" shaft will fit.

Many older trucks (if i recall correctly especially dodges) ran narrower rear axles to track better when turning, but personally im making mine the same width or at least pretty damn close.

Last edited by Maertz; 04-24-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 60 axle