Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

6 Speed Transmission Issues

Old 06-14-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Speed Transmission Issues

I'm having issues popping out of gear and 4th gear not accessible at all. I imagine my synchros are bad but from what I hear by the time I pay to have someone tear it down and replace everything it'll cost me an arm and a leg. I'm looking for options I may have that won't cost me a house payment. That being said, what are some options....rebuild, buy a used one, go with something else, buy a new one (not from stealership). I need opinions, anything helps.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:00 AM
JK Newbie

We purchased a 2010 2door Sport. Kept popping out of gear (1st, 2nd and 3rd). Fought with Chrysler for 9 months. I heard way too many excuses including "driver error". I ended up talking to some engineer who again suggested driver error. The dealer I bought it from denied knowing anything about the problem. I had the service manager take two different jeeps off the lot. The first one popped out of gear before we got out of the parking lot and the second one took two blocks. When talking to the engineer I told him I wanted a new tranny. If I didn't hear from someone in two hours I was stopping by Highway Safety and taking someone for a ride. I got a call from the dealer 30 minutes later telling me there was a new tranny coming. We traded it soon as it was installed. They are still using the same tranny up to the 2012's and maybe even still are. Automatic for us.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default popping out could be the inner rubber boot and spring

if its getting rejected and popping out to going in fully its prob syncro ] The dealers have a stronger spring they use too . if you have no 4th gear at all
Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Mine used to pop out of first gear from time to time. I noticed that every once in a while it just didn't feel all the way in. I took the shift boot off for a closer look and it was clear to see that the stick had been pinching the boot and thus not letting it be as far forward as it needed to be. I had messed around and tried to alter the boot so that it wouldn't bind and pinch but got fussy and decided I didn't care anymore. The shift boot is now in the dump and my Jeep never pops out of first gear anymore. I can't say that this is your problem, but it just takes a second to look and it may save you some big bucks
Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Body lifts cause problems too, I would do as suggested and check the shift boot. Start simple and go from there. My buddy also has a jeep he bought used, manual that would pop out of gear. We found removing the body lift solved the issue after reading about it here.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 03-02-2016, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Issues with the JK trans popping out of gear are related to the shifter fork assembly. It is a known issue with those that rebuild these transmissions. If it is occasional then it may just be the shifter fork assembly. If it happens regularly or all the time there may sleeve wear and even gear damage. Either way, the only way to fix it is to R&R the trans. The fork assembly alone is about a 450.00 part.

I just had my '08 JKU with 130K on it done. My throw out bearing was sounding like it was going to come through the bellhousing. So decided to pull trans and do the clutch. While in there the rear main seal and oil pan gasket are getting redone.
Since the trans was out and had 130K on it, I felt the logical thing was to have it freshened up. The only issue I was noticing was some input bearing whine and occasionally popping out of 1st. Shop that rebuilt trans said all the gears and synchros looked good. Put in new bearings and seals and shifter fork assembly. Was a 1600 job to rebuild the trans but should be good for another 100K plus. Another thing, the shop owner gave me 2 qts of ACDELCO (GM) synchromesh for the trans. He told me in his experience with these units that they do really well with that synchromesh.

Quick Reply: 6 Speed Transmission Issues