Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

6 inch lift and driveshafts

Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 inch lift and driveshafts

Has anyone ran stock driveshafts on a 6 inch lift? How long can you go till failure?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think your driveshafts would get destroyed pretty quick. Especially on a 2-door. It is recommended you change them out once you go 4" or more.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

People are losing driveshafts at 2.5". Can you run stock shafts with 6"? Of course. For long? Doubt it. Be sure to crawl underneath and check the joints on a frequent basis. When they start spitting grease, look for replacements. Since you are asking this, I will guess that you are going very cheap on the lift and won't have adjustable arms either, so look for a set to install with each new shaft.

If you choose not to replace, post pics for us of the old and new tcases/driveshafts/gears. We like carnage!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If you choose not to replace, post pics for us of the old and new tcases/driveshafts/gears. We like carnage!
Yes, and more yes! I will donate for the cause, ...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Reason why i am asking is i got the money for the lift wheels and tires but i will have to choose either driveshafts or gears. They are both basically a grand so i was gonna do the gears and get the driveshafts in 30 to 60 days.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hdvoodoo
Reason why i am asking is i got the money for the lift wheels and tires but i will have to choose either driveshafts or gears. They are both basically a grand so i was gonna do the gears and get the driveshafts in 30 to 60 days.
Personally I would wait until you can do it all at once.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

I just did a superlift 4 inch with 35 km2s and installed 456s from randys ring and pinion and let me just point out i have a 2dr x 6 speed and issues i see out of the gate. front drive shaft boot rubbing on the exhaust cross over and when i say rubbing it might as well be part of the exhaust and as far as the rear the angle is so sever that i give it about 2-3 grand befor joints are wasted. I work on chevys as a tech and see many lifted trucks and can tell you these components are not gonna last long;. so now from feed back im gonna save for rear control arms and tom woods rear drive shaft (cause they actuially replace pinion and t case flanges instaed of spacers and then save up another thous and fix front end. just empty every pocket. the worst part is when your wife says see i told u id rather send pics of blown up stuff all day than hear that
Old 02-19-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Ive been running a 6" lift with stock shafts for almost a year now with no issues. I go wheeling about every other weekend and flex the hell out of it. Also been running 37's on a stock d30 for about 4 months with no issues. Its also daily driven 60 miles a day...
Old 02-19-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ebp 99 si
Ive been running a 6" lift with stock shafts for almost a year now with no issues. I go wheeling about every other weekend and flex the hell out of it. Also been running 37's on a stock d30 for about 4 months with no issues. Its also daily driven 60 miles a day...
Any chance you could snap pics of the tcase ends of both shafts and post them? I'd be curious to see what kind of shape they are in.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ebp 99 si
lets see some pics of ya flex! ! ?

Quick Reply: 6 inch lift and driveshafts