Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

6" backspacing

Old 09-06-2008, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6" backspacing

Portal-Tek recommends 6" backspacing on the wheels used with their axles to protect the planetary hubs.

Anyone know of a decent wheel in 5x5.5 with 5.5"-6.5" backspacing? Diameter should be at least 16", but preferably in the 18"-20" range.

Before you slam, if I'm gonna jump off the deep end and get the Portals at some point, then I figure I'll jump in head first and put 49" IROKS on it.

Ok, I kid. I'm thinkin' 39-42".

Last edited by jeeperjkj; 09-06-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a lot of research. The portal fad in rockcrawling pretty much died about 3 years ago. Too many broken links, hubs, shafts....

The physics on the links with a roll center 7" below their attachment is awful.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jeeperjkj
Portal-Tek recommends 6" backspacing on the wheels used with their axles to protect the planetary hubs.

Anyone know of a decent wheel in 5x5.5 with 5.5"-6.5" offset? Diameter should be at least 16", but preferably in the 18"-20" range.

Before you slam, if I'm gonna jump off the deep end and get the Portals at some point, then I figure I'll jump in head first and put 49" IROKS on it.

Ok, I kid. I'm thinkin' 39-42".
Hmm, sound lie you could just use the stock rims, as they are 16 - 18" diameter, depending upon trim/options...and have 6.25" of BS.

That would save some $ for the monster meats that are MONEY....and MORE MONEY every time they wear out and need to be replaced, etc.

I think you said offset...but meant BS the second time mentioned?

Anyway - food for thought.

PS - 5x5.5...or 5x5 bolt pattern?

Last edited by TEEJ; 09-06-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Hmm, sound lie you could just use the stock rims, as they are 16 - 18" diameter, depending upon trim/options...and have 6.25" of BS.

That would save some $ for the monster meats that are MONEY....and MORE MONEY every time they wear out and need to be replaced, etc.

I think you said offset...but meant BS the second time mentioned?

Anyway - food for thought.
Yeah, that'd be fine if the stock wheels could handle a 14.5" wide tire.

Thanks, I changed the 2nd mention to backspacing.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Talking

You've got it all backwards, man.

When modifying a Jeep, the sequence of events goes like this:
1) Obtain Jeep
2) Wheel Jeep
3) Decide what needs to be improved upon
4) Modify Jeep

No offense, but you're probably the most fickle person I've ever been acquainted with.

Get a Jeep before you start talking about portals and 42-inch Iroks!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryno
You've got it all backwards, man.

When modifying a Jeep, the sequence of events goes like this:
1) Obtain Jeep
2) Wheel Jeep
3) Decide what needs to be improved upon
4) Modify Jeep

No offense, but you're probably the most fickle person I've ever been acquainted with.

Get a Jeep before you start talking about portals and 42-inch Iroks!
Trust me, if that were an option at this point, I would. I'm stuck for now. All I can do is read, learn, absorb info, plan, change my mind, contemplate, live vicariously through all of the posts on this forum, and try to maintain my sanity.

I'm sorry if I bore you, offend you, or just leave you with a general distaste. I have learned many times over to think about what I'm going to do before I do it and not jump the gun. My intentions are to contemplate all possible routes of building up the JK before I get it. That way when I do it, I'll be satisfied that I'm going to do it right for me.

Like I said, if I bore, bother, or offend you, I'm sorry.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Fock...
and i thought i was bad

Old 09-06-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeeperjkj
Trust me, if that were an option at this point, I would. I'm stuck for now. All I can do is read, learn, absorb info, plan, change my mind, contemplate, live vicariously through all of the posts on this forum, and try to maintain my sanity.

I'm sorry if I bore you, offend you, or just leave you with a general distaste. I have learned many times over to think about what I'm going to do before I do it and not jump the gun. My intentions are to contemplate all possible routes of building up the JK before I get it. That way when I do it, I'll be satisfied that I'm going to do it right for me.

Like I said, if I bore, bother, or offend you, I'm sorry.
No need to apologize... Planning ahead is always smart, but not when you're planning so far ahead that it causes you to go insane. Modifying a Jeep is a process, not an event.

It's okay to have an idea of what you want to do with it, but I think you should test the limits of a stock JK before you convince yourself that you need to spend 15 or 20 grand on mods in order to make it off-road capable. A stock Rubicon is incredibly capable.

What kind of trails do you plan on running? Many competition rigs run 37s and conquer some insane obstacles. Although it would be a fast way to get rid of all that money that's burning a hole in your pocket, 42s and portals on a JK are largely unnecessary. A JK with a 3" lift, 35s, and some armor will take you many, many places.

Obsessively plan if you must... It's no skin off my nose.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

It's all good. Like I said, I've got nothing to do now 'cept read, learn, and plan. The chances of me buyin' a JK and goin' straight to 42's is slim to none, but it's nice to dream.

I do wish I could get my JK now, but being that I'm stuck in Guam for who knows how much longer and the JK would cost me roughly $4k more here for the same thing I can get Stateside (not counting the fact that I can find... and already have found... a better deal than that even on a used JK), there's no sense in me buying one here.

In case you haven't read it here before... Guam sucks. It's a nice place to visit, but I definitely wouldn't want to live here for more than a few years. I've been here 3+ years now and I'm dyin' to leave. Even moreso because my JK plans are on hold, too, until I get off this rock.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

What he said, and one question that I hope doesn't piss you off, is this goin to be a daily driver or even just a weekend cruiser b/c 42" iroks for one I can't imagine get anywhere close to decent gas mileage(and i know we don't buy jeeps to be green just lookin out for your wallet) 2: can't be anywhere close to a smooth ride for very long ( i know we don't buy jeeps for comfort just lookin out for your kidneys) and 3 thats alot of dough for some rubber (and once again I know we all like blowing money on our jeeps just makin sure you're wife/boss doesn't kick you to the dog house)

Quick Reply: 6" backspacing