Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

6.4HEMI JK-replacing heater hose

Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 6.4HEMI JK-replacing heater hose

Sprung a lil coolant leak and tracked it down to the driver side heater hose which was in contact with the back corner of the intake manifold(AEV). Things are so damn tight behind there I can barely get one hands fingers back there. Ive attempted to RTV the pinhole but am wondering if anyone else has ecountered this? Really hoping i dont have to lift the body to get back there...

s come across this issue?
Thanks
Old 08-15-2019, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JKJB,

I saw this as a potential problem on mine so I wrapped with another piece of hose where it touches. I would try and bend that metal nipple forward a little bit but don't kink it. My manifold was off to repair some oil leaks in the valley, I think it was PCV grommets. Pain in the Ass place to put them!!

I wouldn't trust trying to patch that hose as there is too much at stake in the engine. You might be able to shove another piece of hose in there and Zip ty it for prevention sake.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just dab some Flex Seal on it and call it a day!

I miss the old days when you could just about crawl down the back side of an engine between the firewall and bellhousing. Have any friends with really small hands that are mechanical? Otherwise, you'll probably have to start removing things to get access.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'll see how the RTV holds up,if not I will try flex seal,looks like they sell it at a local store.
Worst case may have to remove the intake.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Flex seal was a total joke. I wouldn't trust it on something like this. You need to plan on replacing the hose and wrapping it with pieces of the old hose or something that will prevent this issue again.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jordy
Flex seal was a total joke. I wouldn't trust it on something like this. You need to plan on replacing the hose and wrapping it with pieces of the old hose or something that will prevent this issue again.
yeah this will be temporary until i have time to remove the intake.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

anyone happen to know the torque spec and if theres a specific tightening sequence for the aev intake?
thanks

EDIT: Found it-bolts get torqued to 9 foot pounds starting from the center, then cross torque pattern

Last edited by JKJB; 08-16-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

removed the intake manifold and glad i did. the heatshield on the wiring that runs between the block and intake manifold has melted a bit. so will reshield it and replace the rubber gaskets in the intake manifold and give things a good cleaning. oh yeah, got that friggin heater hose off to. any other advice or maintenance that should be done while the intake manifold is off? thanks

Old 08-18-2019, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check those rubber grommets in the valley. I think there are PCV. Mine leaked and required removing the intake to fix. My valve covers leaked as well and the right one is a total pain to replace as you can see, Most engines these days are pretty leak free so I was just unlucky. Good job on the fix!
Old 08-18-2019, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scubatech
Check those rubber grommets in the valley. I think there are PCV. Mine leaked and required removing the intake to fix. My valve covers leaked as well and the right one is a total pain to replace as you can see, Most engines these days are pretty leak free so I was just unlucky. Good job on the fix!
thanks. all done and no leaks or cel's 😁

Quick Reply: 6.4HEMI JK-replacing heater hose