Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

6.4 VVT... Whos running this motor?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forgot to add that i didn't feel that power i would expect from a 6.4 hemi ...i am using 4.56 gears probably too high
Old 11-12-2011, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

correction manual G238 trans
Old 11-13-2011, 01:19 AM
JK Newbie

just found out they installed a bigger pulley than the original .....its fixed now.....but will have to find out why and the difference in Part#......will keep you guys posted
Old 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

dammm this is annoying ..... fixed everything and the timing belt is again starting to slip. Is there something i can do to make sure everything is aligned or something ?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stormcup
dammm this is annoying ..... fixed everything and the timing belt is again starting to slip. Is there something i can do to make sure everything is aligned or something ?
If your serpentine belt keeps popping off, your belt tensioner has failed, your idler pulley has failed or there has to be a loose component like the power steering pump, ac compressor, or alternator. It's also possible that the ac clutch on the compressor has locked up but when that happens, the belt usually burns or breaks off due to friction.

I would remove the belt and touch each pulley that it loops around. If any of them are loose or hard to move (except the crank of course) or if the belt tensioner provides no tension, then you know what to fix.

Best of luck and sorry you're having these problems with your conversion.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

appreciate it bro ...gonna check it today
Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad harmonic balancer on the crank pulley can also cause you to wear out &/or throw a serpentine belt. I have no idea of the design of the one on the Hemi, but they usually have rubber in the centre which can move out and force the belt to pull at an angle (which will wear it causing it to break or allow it to come off the pulley).

You should be able to tell just by looking at it if this is the case.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

just gets more and more complicated. replaced the alternator and compared the new alternator to the old one originally on the engine that i got it with and they are slightly different. Does anyone knows if there are different alternators for the 6.4 VVT Gen 3 ?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZaneJK
I got everything from Burnsville! When everything arrived and installed.. the PCM was bad so we got sent another one which is the one on now.

There was some codes yes.. i dont remember what they were but something to do with the o2 sensors. and now that iv removed my cats, the check engine light is always on :/

I am using the 545 tranny yes! Could the tranny be slipping perhaps?

The other day i had it in neutral and stepped on the gas reving the engine high then the jeep jumped a little :s
There were some bad connectors with the 5.7 / 545 kits where the tranny position sensors weren't connecting properly. I had this problem and it was resolved with new wiring. Not sure if same connector is used with the 6.4, but is there a dealer around you that can plug you into their diagnostic computer?

Quick Reply: 6.4 VVT... Whos running this motor?