Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

6.2L LT and 8L90E using Motech

Old 08-06-2020, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All thanks for the info, tips and ideas (Sixty4x4)... I will pass these on to the installer but we may just go the new rad route and possibly I can resell the dual pass I have now.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I will second what ScottW said. I'm running an L96 6.0 with 6L80E for like 7 years now and would never go back.

Robbie and his crew are great.
How are you liking the 6.0? can't decide between 5.3 or 6.0..
Old 08-06-2020, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Orazi
How are you liking the 6.0? can't decide between 5.3 or 6.0..
I like mine a lot. Installed in 2012 and I have 75,000 miles on it now. Lots of power. What's better is the 6L80 behind it. The right gear all the time.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

I like mine a lot. Installed in 2012 and I have 75,000 miles on it now. Lots of power. What's better is the 6L80 behind it. The right gear all the time.
would a manual work?
Old 08-06-2020, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Orazi
would a manual work?
I've no idea. I'm super happy with the 6L80. The 4:1 first gear is great and the double overdrive makes the rig very good on road as well.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

I've no idea. I'm super happy with the 6L80. The 4:1 first gear is great and the double overdrive makes the rig very good on road as well.
you install it? How was the Install? Really thinking of this. Im at close to 190k on my jeep. Engine is still good, but looking into this.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Aidan7777
I just got this running on Monday and am now ready to dive into HP Tuners with it. I did drive it before and you are not kidding, the trans is all over the place! After about 20 miles I can already tell a difference in shift strategy. I have a couple questions for you if you have a moment:
Did you have any warning lights on the cluster after the swap related to the Jeep side? I currently have the red "brake" light, the red flashing "lightning bolt" light for throttle control, and also a traction/ESP control light. I am hoping I can address this with HP Tuners tomorrow when I dive into it.
As far as the GM side did you change or adjust anything specific outside of the tune Motech sent loaded in the ECM?
I just received my MPVI2 from HP Tuners and will be buying credits for both sides of the vehicle.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
I only have the small orange check engine light. The flashing lightning bolt is actually the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. It is only there at startup for about 10 seconds. The brake and traction light on mine was because the power supply to the ABS via a plug C106 was not connected and in fact I had chopped it off thinking it went to the V6 engine when it really goes around the engine side of the battery box via 10 pin female-male plug. I got another plug, spliced it on and all lights went away. You have to go into the Jeep side and turn all engine related SES codes off in Diagnostics. And the COMMs U Codes for transmission. Does tap shift work or keep bouncing from 1 back to 6 all the time like mine was?
I left engine software what Robbie sent and never modified mine but will be running HPT scanner log for half hour of city driving and an expert tuning guy will tune for economy and I will get like 8-10HP from it. He uses the Airflow/injection pulse tables. You are 6.2 right? If so my advice is do not touch torque control. You will come unglued if you do unless you are an expert at doing tunes with torque control. Make Active Fuel Managment run on 4 cyl only above 55mph. It is a nice feature in LT engines but mine was running on the trail and was a pain in the ass. Also leave the transmission side alone completely. There are very few guys in the world that can tune the tranny's up outside of GM. If it stays in gear to long with little throttle or kicks down too easy just go into the final drive gear ratios and change them to a ratio like 3.42 or 3.23 in the System folder on HPT. That softens up the shift and makes the engine shift through the gears faster. Nice thing about HPT is on the Jeep side you can change TPMS down to 15 or 20PSI so that is nice. I also took Desired ECT in "FANS" (GM side) down to 100*C from 107*C. Last piece of advice - only make 2 or 3 setting changes at once and write them down. When downloading or up loading do not shut door, turn lights on/off, radio leave alone, don't even fart when it is exchanging software from vehicle to computer or vice versa. Sometimes an electrical function can grenade the ECU and may be difficult to get it back. Upload takes 4 minutes/Write Entire download takes about 3 minutes for engine and same for transmission. Make sure your battery is good and no battery charger connected while connected to HPT.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aidan7777
I just got this running on Monday...and also a traction/ESP control light. I am hoping I can address this with HP Tuners tomorrow when I dive into it.
As far as the GM side did you change or adjust anything specific outside of the tune Motech sent loaded in the ECM?
I just received my MPVI2 from HP Tuners and will be buying credits for both sides of the vehicle.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
How did you fix the traction control light? Mine has a solid traction control light on.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
How did you fix the traction control light? Mine has a solid traction control light on.

So I was a little upset and also shocked with Motech's solution for the ESP lights. I was told to remove the instrument cluster to separate the lens and guages and then cover the light with electrical tape. They said "thats what they do". I don't know if this is a programming issue they haven't figured out or if any other swap company has for that matter. I was pretty put off by the "solution" though and from what I've researched as long as those lights are on the ESP/traction control is inoperative.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Aidan, that's not what mine does nor did Motech advise that. Talk to Abraham at Motech. ESP/Traction lights are like normal Jeep operation on mine. I think you might need to look into your ABS system. Not sure if you can get near an icy road up in the mountains but I thought my ABS was not working until we got snow the other day (which just stopped last night) and tested by trying to lock the wheels. The ABS works. As far as traction control not sure why it is affected by the Chev conversion other than the throttle control which I don't think works on mine nor do I care (my right foot has been traction control for the last 50 years) but it goes through the checks at start and clears all lights. And I can turn ESP on and off like normal.

I would leave the Motech tune as is for now as you don't want to be changing too much at once.

What I can do is send you my latest Jeep ECU file from HPT but mine is a 2008 so was for a 3.8/manual. You can compare the COMM U Code settings. We can do this in small steps - how I got done. Made 1 improvement at a time. Only issue I have is a faulty TPMS sensor kicks the light on. I will PM you the file

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 10-24-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 6.2L LT and 8L90E using Motech