Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

6.2L LT and 8L90E using Motech

Old 07-01-2020, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 6.2L LT and 8L90E using Motech

I am currently installing a 6.2L and 8L90E using Motech DIY kit in my bosses 2014 JKU.
I wanted to make this write up after seeing a few other post about engine swaps and conversions on here while doing my research as for what route to go. Also give my inputs as I finish it up! I bounced between companies and engine choices....Hemi vs LS vs LT. After hours of YouTube videos and even more research staring into my phone I decided to go Motech and LT.
I fell into this project once I told my boss I planned on doing a swap (5.3L LT though) to my own JK and he asked if I wanted to do his first....yes for FREE labor ()but at least I can learn from his and I am able to use the shop to do mine after. I must say that Motech's kit is worth every penny so far. I know it is quite a few pennies but the alignment and fit thus far is amazing.
I am currently waiting on the electrical portion and a few odds and ends, but the time spent to get to the below pictures is only about 4 hours. That's from pulling it in the shop, riping out the old 3.6L, and the new LT mounted in.

With that being said, does anyone have any pointers or suggestions that have installed Motech's kit?
Do you run the stock tune or did you use HP Tuners and dial it in?
I will update this as I go and let you know any tips or tricks i find as well as completion process.

The following 2 users liked this post by Aidan7777:
Mr.T (07-04-2020), turbo_geoduck (11-24-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

4 hours....
Old 07-02-2020, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

I figured someone would doubt that time.
1.0 hours to have the body off.
0.5 to rip the 3.6L powertrain out
2.5 hours to set the new mounts and brackets in and drop the LT in.
The LT is just sitting in there, no wiring or plumbing. I'm know this will take up most the time. The t-case isn't even mounted. I jusy lowered the body over it to see fitment.
The following users liked this post:
turbo_geoduck (11-24-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No advice to offer but you and your boss will love these swaps. I have a motech installed 6.0 and it's great. As for tuning Mitch at Motech has a tune he worked out for the 6.0 which I installed using HP tuners. You should contact them and see what they recommend, I know Robbie is a fan of running a stock operating system. They are also always helpful if you run into any issues.
Aidan7777 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I will second what ScottW said. I'm running an L96 6.0 with 6L80E for like 7 years now and would never go back.

Robbie and his crew are great.
turbo_geoduck (11-24-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Aweosme to hear. It is good to know these swaps and electronics are lasting like they do. One of the main reasons I went with them.
For reliability and driveability I am leaning more towards a stock tune. As it is I will be doubling my power and gears so I think it'll be just fine.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Actually I do have some advice. I went through a couple leaky radiators because they would start leaking at the header in less than a year. I know Robbie has one now with dual headers that he says is working well. After my last one started to leak I bought the C&R extruded tube radiator, it's made for the LS swap. It has been good now for almost 2 years. Just something to keep an eye on, the leak will start slow and you'll notice coolant level dropping. I also installed a B&M 70266 transmission cooler, it's a bit larger than the one Motech installed and I wanted better cooling.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

On this Jeep I am installing the upgraded aluminum radiator and Camero SS fan that Motech suggest. They say I can keep the stock one when I install the 5.3L in my Jeep. Was it the stock one leaking on your build?
I also ordered the same B&M cooler for the transmission and found and adapter made by ICT Billet to run all AN fittings from cooler to transmission which should look nice and also function great.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine wasn't the stock radiator, it was a CSF radiator that Motech was using at that time.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

You will need the HP Tuners to access both the Chev ECU and the Jeep ECU. So you need 2 credits from HP for Jeep and whatever that Chev needs (in my case 2). I was #2 LT/8L90 self installed kit by Robbie. Had no instructions but got lots of support from them. I could not fit the plastic covers on my engine due to clearances but mine was early JK - did not cut the battery box. Did you send the wiring harnesses to Motech? I am a 5.3 so running stock rad with SS fan adapted to it. I have ABS issues with mine now so no speedo and cruise and it speeds way over speed limit using phone GPS. Mine is more economical than the V6 by simply doing similar trips and watching fuel gauge go down slower now and a lot more power so with the 6.2 you will be better. Watch out for wheel spin between gear shifts.
That tranny must have been designed by Chev thinking it would go in a Jeep. Run it for a few days as it will learn and change shifting program. Robbie and I talked about mine but as the days wear on it is shifting better by itself. There is a write up on the internet about the learn procedure for 8L90 shifting and I suggest you do it. All done with very light throttle not drag race. All the best as the Jeeps come alive with this conversion.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 07-04-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 6.2L LT and 8L90E using Motech