Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5inch lift?

Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Skyjacker markets a 5" kit for the 2 door. The same kit is marketed as a 4" for the Unlimited. No kit will net you exactly as advertised. Get a nice 4" kit.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Staytru06
Prob spend just close to what you would for a 6" lift if not the same. Also will have a lot more options with a 6" or 4". Is there a specific reason you don't want to just go a little higher/lower?
I just dont care for the look of 6inch lifts with 37s. To much open area for my liking. Id like to go 5inch and try to keep my n20 shocks off of my 3.5lift
Old 02-14-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EsByrd

I just dont care for the look of 6inch lifts with 37s. To much open area for my liking. Id like to go 5inch and try to keep my n20 shocks off of my 3.5lift
Understandable, I'd still go 4" just because its more common but like other have stated there are 5" spring out there my best guess is to just look around or settle for an awesome 4" lift which will prob get you closer to 5" depending on if you have bumper and what not.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

4" you can get away with stock driveshafts depending on what you use your jeeps for and a 1" body lift would put you at 5" without driveshafts. I'm almost certain 5" suspension would require driveshafts. a pretty big cost for that extra inch of suspension vs a body lift.
why are you against body lifts? I know a lot of people think it leaves gaps but a lot of people are under the impression because they see truck with the gaps visible. The jk is not noticeable if you stay under 1.5"
Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fugg it
4" you can get away with stock driveshafts depending on what you use your jeeps for and a 1" body lift would put you at 5" without driveshafts. I'm almost certain 5" suspension would require driveshafts. a pretty big cost for that extra inch of suspension vs a body lift.
why are you against body lifts? I know a lot of people think it leaves gaps but a lot of people are under the impression because they see truck with the gaps visible. The jk is not noticeable if you stay under 1.5"
Ive seen the jk with a 1.5 body lift and I dont like how exposed the grill area gets but I anm running a sti ger and winch so it might not be as bad on mine. As far as drive shaft goes.... ill change that once my jeep sees more obstacles but right now its mianly street and mild trails. Would my shocks from my existing 3.5 be long enough for 5inch springs.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Rusty's Off-Road

We have a 5.5" option.....

Rusty's JK Wrangler 5.5" Long Travel Kit - 4-Door - JK Wrangler & Rubicon ('07+) - Jeep Suspension Lift Kits - Jeep Suspension

Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fugg it

4 inch lift, your Driveshafts will not be okay. The first time you go over a speed bump you have a GREAT chance of shredding the boot on the shaft. If you torque the suspension at all the boot will tear, and the shaft will fail not long after. I saw it on my JK, My neighbors JK, my best friends JKU..all with 37's and we all thought would be okay. If you go anything higher than 3 inches of lift you will need to replace shafts
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 11REDJK

4 inch lift, your Driveshafts will not be okay. The first time you go over a speed bump you have a GREAT chance of shredding the boot on the shaft. If you torque the suspension at all the boot will tear, and the shaft will fail not long after. I saw it on my JK, My neighbors JK, my best friends JKU..all with 37's and we all thought would be okay. If you go anything higher than 3 inches of lift you will need to replace shafts
I have a 3.5 now with 37s and its been on for about 7k miles with no drive shaft problem
Old 02-15-2013, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

4 of my friends and myself included al have pro comp 4" lifts and no problems on stock DS's with 35s.I do trails and fire roads for hunting, fishing and camping, no crawling. but that's what I was saying, depends what your doing with ur jk. not saying my driveshafts will never break but that goes for anything if you beat it enough
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bahhhhh non sense 4" lift with 35's I'm doing fine...so far. Deff the next thing on my list tho.

Quick Reply: 5inch lift?