Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

50 MPH Wobble

Old 01-27-2022, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 50 MPH Wobble

As the title suggests, I have slight wobble at 50 mph. It is only in the steering wheel and doesn't really affect driving or turning. So far I have done a good bit of work to the front end. Barnes 4wd 1 ton tie rod and high steer drag link, RC Trackbar, lower control arms, and old RC steering stabilizer, shocks from fox, 4" lift coil springs from evo, upper and lower ball joints from dv8, and metalcloak trackbar relocation bracket. The only things I can think of would be that I bored out the passenger knuckle too wide for the drag link flip, or it could be a bad steering stabilizer (which I've always been told doesn't FIX anything). The jeep drives fine above or below 50 MPH, I cruise between 70 and 90 on 35s with the 4" lift no problem. If it is that knuckle hole what would be an easy fix? I really dont want to take that knuckle off again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Steering setup.pdf (414.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-27-2022, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Typically slight wobbles that are only in a particular speed range end up being tire-related. Usually the first and easier thing is to try rotating the rears to the front and observe any change. Did all that front end work just happen recently? All at once? ie, just trying to figure out if it was all fine before, you did all this work and now you have a small wobble in that range. Usually a bad component or joint is bad and sends feedback regardless of speed.

You used a tapered sleeve in the DL hole you bored out right?

Last edited by resharp001; 01-27-2022 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Noah T (01-27-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

I have gotten an alignment since then and the mechanic said all my ball joints and tie rod ends looked good, I have also had two different sets of tires on since the flip which I did in September. Order of installation would be trackbar a couple years ago, tie rod about two years ago, ball joints earlier summer 2021, drag link flip used stabilizer, and relocation bracket in September. I did the flip after a road trip to Moab where my old drag link completely blew out about ten hours from home, limped the rest of the way back. wheel bearings also seem to be in good shape. and yes I used the tapered sleeve provided and the reason I think the hole might be too wide is because it can easily slip in and out, but you would think I would be having issues at 80+ mph, not just 50. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Typically slight wobbles that are only in a particular speed range end up being tire-related. Usually the first and easier thing is to try rotating the rears to the front and observe any change. Did all that front end work just happen recently? All at once? ie, just trying to figure out if it was all fine before, you did all this work and now you have a small wobble in that range. Usually a bad component or joint is bad and sends feedback regardless of speed.

You used a tapered sleeve in the DL hole you bored out right?
New to the forum, I posted my response separately.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

I would think that if you had an issue with the bore in the knuckle or the sleeve, you'd be experiencing some decent bumpsteer every time you hit a solid bump or pothole in the road, similar to if you had a bad DL joint. To expand on that idea....any bad component, joint, or loose bolt should rear its head when intentionally hitting large bumps/holes with tires. If you can't reproduce something in that manner and any speed, and you're only getting it in that small window of speed, it just makes me think more towards tires. It is definitely not that old SS. Good, bad, or absent altogether, the jeep should drive perfectly fine regardless of stabilizer.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

I just went through a similar issue. I had a wobble at 55'ish in the steering wheel, so I replaced the ball joints, drag link, tie rod ends, axle u joints, re torqued all the Teraflex lift kit and suspension, installed new tires, had them road forced balanced, put 9/16" grade 8 bolts in the Teraflex track bar, installed a Synergy track bar brace at the frame end, new front shocks (even though the ones replaced only had 5,000 miles on them), aligned it, and steering stabilizer has 5,000 miles on it. The wobble was still there. I decided to pull the front Mopar dbl cardin drive shaft and the wobble is gone. When looking at my front axle the pinion looks too low for the dbl cardin shaft, so without adjustable lower control arms I am going to reinstall my stock drive shaft and see if the wobble is still gone with it.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Newbeme
I just went through a similar issue. I had a wobble at 55'ish in the steering wheel, so I replaced the ball joints, drag link, tie rod ends, axle u joints, re torqued all the Teraflex lift kit and suspension, installed new tires, had them road forced balanced, put 9/16" grade 8 bolts in the Teraflex track bar, installed a Synergy track bar brace at the frame end, new front shocks (even though the ones replaced only had 5,000 miles on them), aligned it, and steering stabilizer has 5,000 miles on it. The wobble was still there. I decided to pull the front Mopar dbl cardin drive shaft and the wobble is gone. When looking at my front axle the pinion looks too low for the dbl cardin shaft, so without adjustable lower control arms I am going to reinstall my stock drive shaft and see if the wobble is still gone with it.
Let me know if that changes anything, I have adjustable lower control arms and Adams 1310 cv front driveshaft.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I would think that if you had an issue with the bore in the knuckle or the sleeve, you'd be experiencing some decent bumpsteer every time you hit a solid bump or pothole in the road, similar to if you had a bad DL joint. To expand on that idea....any bad component, joint, or loose bolt should rear its head when intentionally hitting large bumps/holes with tires. If you can't reproduce something in that manner and any speed, and you're only getting it in that small window of speed, it just makes me think more towards tires. It is definitely not that old SS. Good, bad, or absent altogether, the jeep should drive perfectly fine regardless of stabilizer.
Even though I have had two different sets of tires on, I dont doubt that it could still be a balancing issue. I got them mounted at a pretty cheap shop and didn't ask if they were balanced. Might go out this weekend and see how they are, thanks for your help.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I had a nagging problem with a wobble at speeds of about 55-65 for a couple long trips around the country. First off, check if there is any built-up mud on the rims. But that was only part of my problem. I also had a blown shock absorber. Once I swapped out to new shocks (all around), the problem went completely away.

Can you tell which one was blown? Note that I had already thrown one good one in the trash ...

Old 02-04-2022, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I had a nagging problem with a wobble at speeds of about 55-65 for a couple long trips around the country. First off, check if there is any built-up mud on the rims. But that was only part of my problem. I also had a blown shock absorber. Once I swapped out to new shocks (all around), the problem went completely away.

Can you tell which one was blown? Note that I had already thrown one good one in the trash ...
Those shocks hav definitely been through the ringer, lol. I just recently replaced my front springs and shocks but I still have the issue.

Quick Reply: 50 MPH Wobble