Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5 Year Check Up

Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much if its modded in anyway it fails the powertrain inspection.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Allpar posted a very informative article today about the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. As well today, I happened to have my heavily modded Jeep in the shop for my first Lifetime Warranty repair and it went very smoothly. Of course I had just gone in for the 5 year inspection about 6 months ago, so I knew that the repair should be covered.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Being a long time mechanic and shop manager I want to share my experiences with aftermarket warranty companies. Depending on the "level" of "coverage" you have depends on what is actually covered. Most of the warranty companies have about 4 stages of coverage, each stage covering more and more of the vehicle. The basic stage typically only covers engine or transmission issues, as you move up it covers interior and electrical issues. So you really need to understand what is actually "covered".

With that being said even if the warranty company says you are covered chances are you are not. I have dealt with plenty of claims that have been denied for one reason or another. My typical experience is that a warranty company will cover almost any repair that is less than $500 (keep in mind you have a $100 deductible). Once you hit that $500 mark the company will want to send an adjustor. The adjustors job is to find any and every reason to deny the claim.

With all of that being said I feel it is better to save that couple thousand dollars that the "best" aftermarket warranty will cost and put it in the bank for when you have an issue that needs to be addressed.

The factory warranty is the only way to go. Just my two cents for whatever its worth.
I hear what your saying. When I bought my Jeep a year ago, the loan officer put the contract in front of me and I noticed that he kindly added three additional warrenties/coverages. That pissed me off right there and when I asked him to take them out of the contract because I did not ask for it he looked at me with the "how dare you" look. All I wanted was GAP.
I REALLY hate dealing with the stealership. I will go there if need be during my factory warranty period. Other than that I stay clear.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Be cognizant that taking the Jeep in for warranty work may result in a diagnosis fee.....that was a sweet $150 I paid for the dealer to tell me they're not sure why my clutch squeaks but bring it in again if it comes back (since they can't replicate).....it came back 5 mins out of the parking lot.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=karls;3586180]Be cognizant that taking the Jeep in for warranty work may result in a diagnosis fee.....that was a sweet $150 I paid for the dealer to tell me they're not sure why my clutch squeaks but bring it in again if it comes back (since they can't replicate).....it came back 5 mins out of the parking lot.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Noted. Something else to add to they stealership list
Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jumpmaster
I hear what your saying. When I bought my Jeep a year ago, the loan officer put the contract in front of me and I noticed that he kindly added three additional warrenties/coverages. That pissed me off right there and when I asked him to take them out of the contract because I did not ask for it he looked at me with the "how dare you" look. All I wanted was GAP.
I REALLY hate dealing with the stealership. I will go there if need be during my factory warranty period. Other than that I stay clear.
The loan officers job is to sell you everything lol. The loan officer gets a cut for selling GAP, aftermarket warranties, factory extended warranties, scratch and dent coverage, the whole nine. They are supposed to make you feel like it is needed when it really isn't.

Wranglers tend to hold there value so GAP really isn't needed. However it is so cheap that it makes sense. Everything else is to just take you for a ride.

Sorry for being so brutally honest but that is how we operate!!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by karls
Be cognizant that taking the Jeep in for warranty work may result in a diagnosis fee.....that was a sweet $150 I paid for the dealer to tell me they're not sure why my clutch squeaks but bring it in again if it comes back (since they can't replicate).....it came back 5 mins out of the parking lot.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Typically most dealers will not charge a diag fee unless you opt not to repair the item. My clutch has been squeaking since day one (worse when driving through deep water) however it does not seem to be a major issue, just very annoying.

If you tell them you refuse to pay because it is a warranty issue they have nothing to say about it. Tell them to take it up with Chrysler.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Typically most dealers will not charge a diag fee unless you opt not to repair the item. My clutch has been squeaking since day one (worse when driving through deep water) however it does not seem to be a major issue, just very annoying.

If you tell them you refuse to pay because it is a warranty issue they have nothing to say about it. Tell them to take it up with Chrysler.
I asked them to figure out what was going on so I could get it fixed but I'm at the point you are- it's annoying but doesn't seem to be detrimental to anything.

I'll have to get some free time, my receipt, and go ask them to take another look.

Sent from my DROID4
Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by karls
I asked them to figure out what was going on so I could get it fixed but I'm at the point you are- it's annoying but doesn't seem to be detrimental to anything.

I'll have to get some free time, my receipt, and go ask them to take another look.

Sent from my DROID4
Unfortunately dealing with the dealer can be very frustrating. Have them look at it multiple times and refuse to pay if they keep saying everything is fine. Once something goes wrong have all your documents at hand and have it taken care of, even if it is out of warranty. You will have the doc's showing that they "blew you off" and you will still be covered if it really get ugly.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 PM
JK Junkie

Solid advice.....I guess I know where I'll be spending my days off.

Sent from my DROID4

Quick Reply: 5 Year Check Up