Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5 point seatbelt harness

Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LimpinLobster
Any fab shop could make a tube for you that would mount behind the seats that you could bolt on and off for when you wanna get crazy. The problem with mounting the harnesses to the floor or not shoulder height, is during an impact, it can pull down on your spine compressing your vertebra.
That's exactly what I read. I was not aware of this when I started this thread. Thank you all for your input. Hopefully this thread will also help others.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also would like to install a 5-pointer. I don't know why you should not bolt them to the floor behind the seat, but am willing to learn. How about an installation to the factory bar (sound bar)? That would be even above the shoulders a little. Or the rear seat belt stubs?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by eumel789
I also would like to install a 5-pointer. I don't know why you should not bolt them to the floor behind the seat, but am willing to learn. How about an installation to the factory bar (sound bar)? That would be even above the shoulders a little. Or the rear seat belt stubs?
The reason why not mounted to the floor is already outlined in this thread.

Regarding mounting to the sound bar...

If it's mounted high, it won't restrain the occupant any better than the OEM 3 point harness, which makes it almost "pointless".
Old 12-23-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can mount a 5 point harness any way you want to if you just want to look cool. However, if you actually want it to work properly and safely then the shoulder harnesses need to be mounted just behind the seat on a roll cage cross bar. It also needs to be mounted just below the top of the shoulders of the person that will be driving it in the position that they drive it. But what does this mean you ask? This means that there is only one position that your seat can be in while you are driving, the position that the belts were set up at. Is there a little wiggle room there? Sure. But if you are 6'4'' and your wife is 5'4'', like me and my wife are, there is no way to set up a five point harness that is safe for both of you. Please if you plan on putting a 5 point harness in your Jeep do your homework. Its not just bolt in and look cool. In fact if they are not set up properly they WILL hurt you more than they will help you. Would you install a lift kit improperly just because it looked cool?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LimpinLobster
Any fab shop could make a tube for you that would mount behind the seats that you could bolt on and off for when you wanna get crazy. The problem with mounting the harnesses to the floor or not shoulder height, is during an impact, it can pull down on your spine compressing your vertebra.
How about anchoring the two top straps to the seat belt locks of the rear seat?
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Did you not read the first post on this topic? That was the initial question. The short answer is no.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eumel789

How about anchoring the two top straps to the seat belt locks of the rear seat?
Thought about that. Not safe. The harness needs to be mounted right above the shoulders for proper safety. This was my original idea when I thought about doing this.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default Please do not install a 5 point harness

A 5 point harness is not safer in your Jeep than the stock seatbelt along with the air bag for street use. Even with proper installation the 5 point harness is going to hold your body tight to the seat thus making the air bag not effective in case of a collision. Also during a collision your body will be held tight against the seat so the only thing that will move is your head snapping forward and since the air bag will not be able to reach your face it will not cushion the head snap and this will cause a major spinal or neck injury i.e. break your neck.

This is what happened to Dale Earnhardt in what seemingly was a low speed minor frontal collision with the wall. As most of you know by now the Hans devise was implemented and no 5 point harneses can be used without a Hans devise at any level of racing. (the Hans devise ties your helmet and head to your body thus preventing neck snaps or breakage in case of a collision.

So please don't use a 5 point harness unless your are willing to wear a Hans devise with it. Please pass this information to your Mustang friend.

The only time I would ever use a 5 point harness is maybe in extreme low speed rock crawling situations. Even then it is not worth it.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

While I understand where you are going with that statement, its not really apples to apples. Dale hit a wall at roughly 160 mph and then was hit by another car causing varying g loads to his body. It wasn't really your normal car crash. That being said if it were my Jeep I would still use the 3 point harness while on the street. Your Jeep was designed for its safety features to work together and that includes the 3 point seat belts. I can also understand wanting to have a 5 point for while offroad. In the event of a roll over offroad I personally would feel more secure with a 5 point. All I'm saying is that if you insist on putting a 5 point in your Jeep then set it up right, not however is convenient.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSteve
While I understand where you are going with that statement, its not really apples to apples. Dale hit a wall at roughly 160 mph and then was hit by another car causing varying g loads to his body. It wasn't really your normal car crash. That being said if it were my Jeep I would still use the 3 point harness while on the street. Your Jeep was designed for its safety features to work together and that includes the 3 point seat belts. I can also understand wanting to have a 5 point for while offroad. In the event of a roll over offroad I personally would feel more secure with a 5 point. All I'm saying is that if you insist on putting a 5 point in your Jeep then set it up right, not however is convenient.
To add to that...

The JK "cage" probably isn't adequate. Being held in place and upright could lead to more severe injuries.

Quick Reply: 5 point seatbelt harness