Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5 point seatbelt harness

Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5 point seatbelt harness

Ok so I'm looking at getting some 5 point harnesses for my rig. I don't want to use the bar behind the seats as it restricts how far the seat can go back. Does anyone know of a harness kit that uses the factory seatbelt mount points? I have a friend with a cobra and he has one that uses the front seatbelt mounts and rear seat mounts for the harness. Do they make anything like this for the jeep? I can't find anything with my search.

Is there any other options that you have done?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

My initial thought is the 5 point harness is a bad idea without a proper roll cage, and mounting the shoulder harness to the floor is an extra-bad idea.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
My initial thought is the 5 point harness is a bad idea without a proper roll cage, and mounting the shoulder harness to the floor is an extra-bad idea.
x2

Old 12-22-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are suggesting is a really poor idea. There is a reason that 5 point harnesses are mounted just slightly below the shoulder on the cage. If you want a 5 point harness to work properly then it has to be mounted properly.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

Thank you for the input. I did a little more research on the mustang kit my buddy had and they way they have it set up is proper, but would be very dangerous to put in a jeep. Apparently rock hard makes a harness bar that bolts to the pillar behind the seats that will allow for proper harnesses, but also limits how far the seats will go back/recline. Just a thought as sometimes I don't feel safe with my regular seat belts. Thank you for the input, I was hoping someone else had a solution but looks like anything of that manner is very dangerous.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
Just a thought as sometimes I don't feel safe with my regular seat belts.
The regular seat belt/shoulder harness is actually the safer setup when there is no real roll cage.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx

The regular seat belt/shoulder harness is actually the safer setup when there is no real roll cage.
I'm working on a custom cage, but I really don't want a bar behind the seats for the harness mounts. Apparently the angles that are safe, have to have that bar or at least a mount on the cage. I think I don't have a choice at this point.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not make the harness bar removable? That way you can have the mount when your wheeling and when you are just driving on the street use the factory 3 point harness. I mean honestly how often are you tilting the seat back that far?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigSteve
Why not make the harness bar removable? That way you can have the mount when your wheeling and when you are just driving on the street use the factory 3 point harness. I mean honestly how often are you tilting the seat back that far?
That's a very good idea. Yes I have the seat all the way back and I've read that with the bar, it
Will not allow for that. I'm 6'4". Making a bolt on one is a very good idea! Thank you!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any fab shop could make a tube for you that would mount behind the seats that you could bolt on and off for when you wanna get crazy. The problem with mounting the harnesses to the floor or not shoulder height, is during an impact, it can pull down on your spine compressing your vertebra.

Quick Reply: 5 point seatbelt harness