Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5 directional tire rotation

Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
With directional, you have 3/2 set up. No way other than only rotating the one side if you plan on keeping them directional.
Understood. But if I follow the first suggestion posted then I only have to have one tire flipped. It was a helpful post.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

True. The treps are, was just thinking most m/ts aren't. My bad.

As for left rear, floor it a few times and see which tires spins. In an open diff rwd vehicle the right rear almost always takes most of the load. Add an lsd and its about even.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi

As for left rear, floor it a few times and see which tires spins. In an open diff rwd vehicle the right rear almost always takes most of the load. Add an lsd and its about even.
No harm no foul brother, all you did was ask.

But can we please keep this thread on topic and not derail it to the workings of an open diff please.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

Open diffs ALWAYS distribute the torque 50/50.
If one tire spins upon acceleration, it's simply because it has less traction than the other.
As long as the tires have equal traction, the work done by each tire is equal.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 PM
JK Junkie

I stuck with front to back when I had claws, just left the spare hanging.

Ideally you would dismount and remount the tires to ensure that they saw the correct amount of inner and outer wear but that gets quite expensive.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls
I stuck with front to back when I had claws, just left the spare hanging.

Ideally you would dismount and remount the tires to ensure that they saw the correct amount of inner and outer wear but that gets quite expensive.
Right. What's your thoughts on post #2 and #3? That way I'm only flipping one tire.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

Wouldn't how you rotate directional tires depend on the tread design?
Some tires can be used in one direction because of how they direct water from the contact patch.
Other designs are directional for best traction, but I have read that after a few thousand miles, they are not so directional any more.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Wouldn't how you rotate directional tires depend on the tread design?
Some tires can be used in one direction because of how they direct water from the contact patch.
Other designs are directional for best traction, but I have read that after a few thousand miles, they are not so directional any more.
Regardless, they should all face the same direction. Mine will remain quite directional their whole life. For directional mt tires I think forward is better water displacement and quieter, backward gets better off road traction. No proof on that.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Per your request not going off on tangent about open diffs.

If you're running bead locks you could swap the backwards tire around on the rim each time you rotate since can do at home assuming you just use balancing breads. Would still get the front to rear "flattening" of tread. Would probably be a pita though every few thousand miles.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Per your request not going off on tangent about open diffs.

If you're running bead locks you could swap the backwards tire around on the rim each time you rotate since can do at home assuming you just use balancing breads. Would still get the front to rear "flattening" of tread. Would probably be a pita though every few thousand miles.
Thanks for keeping it on topic. No bead locks yet. If it comes down to it I'd be ok only rotating twice a year (summer and winter). I do pretty low miles, 10-12k per year.

Quick Reply: 5 directional tire rotation