Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5" Backspacing on 37's info and help

Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5" Backspacing on 37's info and help

Is anyone running a 5" Backspace on 37's?? If so what should I expect to rub besides wheel at full lock?? i'm running 18x9 35's and they hit slightly at full lock. Also, If I go 37's should they be 12.5 or 13.5 ?? I'm not changing rims and wanted to see if I mostly do pavement with slight offroad if it would be a big deal or not?? I currently have a RK 2.5" Max Travel with stock fenders but looking to go Flat tube fenders... Thanks for your info and help..
Old 06-30-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

You will need 1.5" wheel spacers and flat fenders minimum, otherwise I think you'll be fine, maybe some pinch seam trimming with the 37s.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

So definitely 1.5" spacers huh!! I was hoping just flat fenders and pinch seam... So no way to get around that....
Old 06-30-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Put them on, turn the wheel, and see where you are rubbing (or likely to rub with any up/down/side movement while driving). Add a washer to the steer stop. Check again. Add another washer. Check again. You will be limiting your turning radius with each washer, so wheel spacers or new wheels would be your better option - and depending on what you find, may be the only option.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

For the most part it's a pavement pounder so If I gotta do a 6 point turn instead of 3 point I'm ok with it.. Not so much worried about bumping at full lock more worried if I buy the 37's can I put them on and ride down the street without any other problems. I love my rims so I'm not really looking to change them an not really wanting to do spacers... So I'm guessing washers to be able to correct steering bumps.. ??
Old 06-30-2013, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THE HULK
For the most part it's a pavement pounder so If I gotta do a 6 point turn instead of 3 point I'm ok with it.. Not so much worried about bumping at full lock more worried if I buy the 37's can I put them on and ride down the street without any other problems. I love my rims so I'm not really looking to change them an not really wanting to do spacers... So I'm guessing washers to be able to correct steering bumps.. ??
I currently have 4.75" backspacing with 37/12.50/17's and I had to add 3 washers each to both of the steering stops so they wouldn't rub the frame.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

So sounds like adding spacers to the steering and I'll be ok.. So is 12.5 gonna be better (or less spacers) than running 13.5??
Old 06-30-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

For the most part it's a pavement pounder so If I gotta do a 6 point turn instead of 3 point I'm ok with it..
You have to check up/down as well as side-to-side. It could be that you are fine with added washers for normal driving, but will rip a CA off its mount (overly dramatic there, but it gets the point across) if the wheels are turned while hitting a speed bump or pothole. With the new tires on, cycle the suspension while turning the steering wheel.

And yes, narrower tread/sidewalls would need less backspace/steer stop adjustment than wider - for a given height.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-30-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you very much for all your help guys!! Brings light to what needs to be done... Either go 4.5" BS or washers and check all carefully!! Thanks again

Quick Reply: 5" Backspacing on 37's info and help