Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is 5.4* caster OK?

Old 11-10-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 5.4* caster OK?

hey all - just installed a Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel lift, and took it to get aligned. The Caster is at 5.4*, and the tech said he recommended keeping it there due to better ride quality and less drift. Is that true, or did he just not want to adjust my arms on the lift, do you think? Is that amount of difference going to be hard on the driveshaft, do you think?

As a side note, I took it out after the lift, and soon heard a noise underneath - turns out the plastic cover on the drive shaft's clamp had come loose and the plastic cover ripped and was hitting on every revolution. could that be related to the caster angle, do you think?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There is some info in the faq's at the top of this modified area, and if you go up to the writeups section, you will find an index at the top, and a DIY alignment writeup that will give some info and steps for adjusting the caster.

Stock caster is just over 4*. After lifting, the pinion tilts up, which lowers caster, and causes flightier steering. Many people like to be in the 5-6 range after a lift, which reduces/removes the flightyness. And yes, raising the caster also lowers the pinion, causing the joints to work at steeper angles. At 2.5" it shouldn't be an issue, but if you want to lower the caster to reduce the angles, go for it.

Which boot is slapping around? The center boot covering the slip joint isn't a problem, just rip it off. (as long as the middle of the front shaft isn't actually contacting the corner of the auto tranny pan, that is). If you lost the boot around the joint at the tcase, it will lose grease, dry out, make noise, and eventually seize. Some people have decent luck with just re-greasing it every so often. Or I think quadratec sells a kit to repair it, but --> it'll likely just happen again. Do some research on your options and see if an aftermarket shaft might be a better purchase.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks - I think it is the middle boot, but I will look tomorrow and make sure - appreciate the info and quick reply!

-randy
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 AM
JK Junkie

Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Is 5.4* caster OK?