Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5.38's ARB diff covers Now lockers will not engage - Please Help

Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.38's ARB diff covers Now lockers will not engage - Please Help

I have a 2009 Unlimited Rubicon and just regeared to 5.38 and added ARB diff covers. When I engage the front and rear lockers, the locker lights on the dash just keep blinking and do not stay on?

I have almost 400 miles since the gear swap and I really love the 5.38's. The mechanic that installed the 5.38's added a couple bottles of limited slip additive to the synthetic Mobile One gear oil - do you think that is what is causing them to not engage?

Are the ARB diff covers causing the problem?

All the wires appear to be attached.

I haven't wheeled this Jeep yet - only tested the lockers in my back yard.

Please help me figure out why my front and read lockers are not fully engaging.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepdelaware
I have a 2009 Unlimited Rubicon and just regeared to 5.38 and added ARB diff covers. When I engage the front and rear lockers, the locker lights on the dash just keep blinking and do not stay on?

I have almost 400 miles since the gear swap and I really love the 5.38's. The mechanic that installed the 5.38's added a couple bottles of limited slip additive to the synthetic Mobile One gear oil - do you think that is what is causing them to not engage?

Are the ARB diff covers causing the problem?

All the wires appear to be attached.

I haven't wheeled this Jeep yet - only tested the lockers in my back yard.

Please help me figure out why my front and read lockers are not fully engaging.

Thanks,

Joel
The highlight above makes me question the mechanic's knowledge level. There was no need to add the stuff. It won't hurt anything, though.
Also, can you tell if the locker is actually locking?
It is common for the mechanic to not be careful and cause damage to the lock sensor plunger. This will make the computer think the locker is not engaged, which would keep the light in blink mode.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default I hear you.

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The highlight above makes me question the mechanic's knowledge level. There was no need to add the stuff. It won't hurt anything, though.
Also, can you tell if the locker is actually locking?
It is common for the mechanic to not be careful and cause damage to the lock sensor plunger. This will make the computer think the locker is not engaged, which would keep the light in blink mode.
Even though I told him that the synthetic already had the additive, he insisted on using the additive..

I think this was his first new Jeep with e-locker gear swap. Apparently he has changed a lot of gears in the past, but on older vehicles.

While driving the Jeep in my back yard, I'm under the impression that the axels are locked, but the computer thinks they are not fully engaged.

Will this cause long term problems? If not, I do not mind the blinking lights if the axels are actually locked?

They appear to unlock when I unlock them - at least the light stops blinking and it drives OK.

How can I (he) fix the problem or install the sensors properly and what parts do I need?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 08-30-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

The installer should willingly fix this for free, if the problem is a damaged sensor. I don't think it's a problem running this way, as long as nothing breaks off and drops into the works. Take it back to the installer as soon as you can to have him open the pumpkin for a look see. If you take the cover off, he may claim you did something inside.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

If you can tell that it is locking by the way it turns the flashing light is telling you you ave a problem with the sensor. Most likely he has the sensor in a bind or has permanently damaged it. If he hasn't done a JK before he most likely damaged it. One of mine was damged when installing gears. They're about 65 a piece. Most dealers do not stock them and they have to be ordered. He'll have to pull the carrier out a bit to pull the plunger. He should bear all the costs on this and chalk it up to a learning experience.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

And don't let anybody tell you it's the ARB covers; it's not.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Through research I found this:

Originally Posted by chuck45
If you can tell that it is locking by the way it turns the flashing light is telling you you ave a problem with the sensor. Most likely he has the sensor in a bind or has permanently damaged it. If he hasn't done a JK before he most likely damaged it. One of mine was damged when installing gears. They're about 65 a piece. Most dealers do not stock them and they have to be ordered. He'll have to pull the carrier out a bit to pull the plunger. He should bear all the costs on this and chalk it up to a learning experience.

"The locker sensor (plunger) needs to be behind the plate on the side gear, ie: the plunger needs to be installed before the diff, and when the diff is installed they need to make sure the plunger is hooked over the plate. If you don't one of two things will happen, a/ it will lock correctly but the dash light will just flash as it doesn't know it's locked, or b/ the plunger may exert enough pressure on the side gear plate to engage the locker and it will be locked all the time."

Also, if taken apart incorrectly or installed incorrectly the arm on the sensor plunger can get easily bent/damaged, resulting in needing to purchase a new one. Part #68003569AA

We purchased a new sensor, and are going to pull the front and rear apart on Monday and Tuesday to put it back in correctly.

Hopefully this info will help some of us, but that darn locker and plunger sensor is a pain in the arse."

And I found these links:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/troubleshooting-rear-locker-rubicon-25579/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...locker+problem

QUESTION: I have to change the gear oil at 500 miles - if I buy the sensors - is this something I could do myself with basic tools and knowledge? How does one "pull the carrier" and are there any write-ups or pictures on this subject?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 09-13-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the info, this thread lead me to find what my problem was, if you dont put in the sensor in first before your carrier it can keep the locker locked full time(the sensor will push the accuator ring on the locker), all i had to do was pull the sensor and then carrier and reinstall sensor first then the carrier and all works just fine.

if you havent seen these:

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Sounds to me like your sensor was just installed incorrectly. If you don't take out the diff when you install the sensor it will look like this, which is incorrect:

When it's installed correctly, the sensor should look like this:

Hope that helps you out.

Quick Reply: 5.38's ARB diff covers Now lockers will not engage - Please Help