Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5.13's Explode

Old 07-25-2010, 03:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wells
Maybe they forgot the lube?

He wouldn't have gotten 4,500 miles post re-ratio w/o gear oil.

My instinct is, it has nothing to do with the ring & pinion themselves ("5.13s explode"?).

We'll see...
Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same thing happened to my buddies Jk on 5.13's

Let me guess they are superior gears? The same thing happened to my buddies jeep last weekend. We were told to buy Yukon gears instead, because people believe the hardening process of the superior gear sets are not up to par.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like to know what caused it too.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had something similar happen on my stock 05 ram with only 43,000 miles a few months ago. Doing about 45 mph and heard a strange noise. Just after I let off the gas it just locked up and skidded to a stop. Got out to find my driveshaft hanging. Turns out the pinion nut backed off and locked it up. Ended up with an entirely new rearend under warranty, housing and all.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I just got back, the man meet me at his shop on a sunday so I could drop off the jeep and return the U-haul.

It locked up again when we were trying to get it off the trailer, so we pulled the cover off. The install was still ok but there was a big chunk of teeth missing off the ring. the pinion looked a little rough but hard to see. The chuncks from the teeth were binding up at the bottom of the carrier. The locker was not right either, he said there was movement and pins the were not in the right place. The gears were Motive gears, not sure what they will do but I'll keep ya posted.

Do you guys think someone should cover my u-haul expenses? I really happy that he's covering the repairs but 480 bucks is 480 bucks.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

So... broken teeth are the culprit or just a symptom... or were you able to tell?

Might not know with certainty until the post-mortem is done when he's open for business, e.g. removal of carrier, etc.

Keep us posted.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got the jeep back today, He seems to think I cracked the ring sometime in MOAB on EJS. With all the slick rock. Then it finely went 6 months later. After a long drive to Cortez, maybe it got alittle hotter then it normally gets. Anyway the Man HOOKED me up, And gave me a free t-shirt.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 PM
JK Super Freak

The first cause in a mishap such as this one can be pretty difficult to identify.

So the mechanic's best theory is you put a crack in one or more teeth of the ring gear while wheeling in Moab. And it lets loose, grenading the works six months later.

I find that curious. NOT suggesting he's lying, only wondering about what sounds like an unlikely scenario.

Do you remember shock-loading the affected axle, e.g. touching a spinning tire down on a high traction surface?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your gear troubles. I seriouly doubt you will get any reimbursment for your Uhaul expense. At least you and your family are ok.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not ever a hardcore wheeler (anymore) I've used the lockers out in Moab on the slick rock(tip over) I never punched it, always slow and smooth. I am not perfect either . The Man fixed my up and I will got to him again. We are still trying to figure this thing out.

After The gears were done in March, we went to Moab. After doing Hells revenge we got off the trail and I had a knocking 14 to 25 mph in the front axle. It went away at 26 27mph and never came back. I called him back then and reported it and he said don't worry about it. In 30 years of doing gear replacement only the 2nd time it happened, SO new protocal will be to inspect if it happens again.

Quick Reply: 5.13's Explode