Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5.13's on Dana 30?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
Uh...No, D30's are NOT stronger than D44's.
I realize that. I was referring to the high number of broken D44s. Have not seen any broken D30s yet. So, with that in mind, yes, the 30s might be stronger than the obviously defective 44s.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 266701:

How'd your gas mileage do? Was it as much a hit as the gear charts seem to indicate?

Let me know...
Old 03-19-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

youll be fine with your 30 and 513s
perfect for 35s on up...
if you pop a ujoint and ruin your axleshaft, replace it with superior shafts, they accept a full circle clip(way better cap retention)
Old 03-19-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I realize that. I was referring to the high number of broken D44s. Have not seen any broken D30s yet. So, with that in mind, yes, the 30s might be stronger than the obviously defective 44s.
After switching my 30 out for a 44 and getting the parts of the 30 ready to sell, I discovered that one side of the 30 axle was missing 2 c-clips and the other had 1 installed improperly which wasn't retaining the cap. I'd say they were both disasters waiting to happen. It could be that the tolerances are just a bit more loose in the 44 yokes though, allowing the caps to fall out easier.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi

After switching my 30 out for a 44 and getting the parts of the 30 ready to sell, I discovered that one side of the 30 axle was missing 2 c-clips and the other had 1 installed improperly which wasn't retaining the cap. I'd say they were both disasters waiting to happen. It could be that the tolerances are just a bit more loose in the 44 yokes though, allowing the caps to fall out easier.
I was referring to the axle housing breaking, which many more of the 44s have been doing. I have not seen a broken dana 30 yet. But you are certainly right. When you throw in the u joint c lips, both axles have many failures as well.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by putnam dan
High numbers of broken D44's how many are we talking exactly? There are some pretty hard core wheelers on D4's who havn't broken them yet

Do a search on broken axle housings. There are many members here who have experienced it, so I would just venture to guess that there are many more failures since I am sure this forum is only a small representative of the JK owners out there.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was referring to the axle housing breaking, which many more of the 44s have been doing. I have not seen a broken dana 30 yet. But you are certainly right. When you throw in the u joint c lips, both axles have many failures as well.
Oh yeah, this was about the housing breaking, wasn't it... I would venture to guess that the tubes are made from the same stock on both axles since they share the same outer knuckles.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi

Oh yeah, this was about the housing breaking, wasn't it... I would venture to guess that the tubes are made from the same stock on both axles since they share the same outer knuckles.
I was thinkin they were made from the same stuff....but hopin they ain't. LOL Maybe it was just a bad run of metal.....and hopefully gone now.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

I was thinkin they were made from the same stuff....but hopin they ain't. LOL Maybe it was just a bad run of metal.....and hopefully gone now.
thats what, I was thinking, a bad batch....
Old 03-22-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on broken axle housings. There are many members here who have experienced it, so I would just venture to guess that there are many more failures since I am sure this forum is only a small representative of the JK owners out there.
um if I recall correctly there are only 2 or 3 who had the axle tube break.....that to you is "many" ? lol....I do think it is 2 or 3 to many but not many or alot, we do have over 10,000 members here ya know

Hey when you think we'll hit 20,000? lol

Quick Reply: 5.13's on Dana 30?