Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5.13's on Dana 30?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 5.13's on Dana 30?

I have an 08 Sahara. I have 35" tires on it. I love the look and don't mind, but at the same time would like it to be better, the slight loss of power from the new wheels and tires. I currently have 3.73 gears. I want to upgrade my gears in the next month or so. I have seen that a lot of people suggest going with 5.13 gears. I was planning on doing that until I read some threads that state that the Dana 30 front axle won't be able to handle 5.13's and 35's. I don't do any serious 4 wheeling. I will need the 4wd for going to colorado and mud out in fields. I won't be running through 2 foot mud holes - even though that would be fun!

I thought about just going with 4.88's, but, since I am having the gears changed out anyway, why not go with more power and get the 5.13's ?

Anyway, I wanted to get your thoughts. Can the Dana 30 Front axles handle the 5.13's and 35's? What if I re-enforce the front axle? (Not sure what that means, but someone mentioned it in another thread.)

-Chuck
Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2... please let us know!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

I think the gears will be fine, it's the abuse the axle will take from those 35's that should be your concern. I'm not an authority on this but from what I've read this is what I have gathered.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Freak

If you have an auto trans then I would highly suggest the 5:13 gears. I went with 4:88 and wished I had done the 5:13s. You will be amazed at the power difference with a gearing change. I think the D 30 should last just fine.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems to me as of right now, the Dana 30 is stronger. A LOT of people are breaking the 44s.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

5.13 and 35's here, more than 10k miles on the jeep since installed and lots of offroad, no issues

as riverzendz mentioned, how you wheel it is.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

it'll be fine, people are breaking u-joints, not R&P's..

U-joints are a cheap easy fix
Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick replies. I will just swapp out the u joint then with something stonger and go with the 5.13's

-Chuck
Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Seems to me as of right now, the Dana 30 is stronger. A LOT of people are breaking the 44s.
Uh...No, D30's are NOT stronger than D44's.

Originally Posted by Chukronos
Thanks for the quick replies. I will just swapp out the u joint then with something stonger and go with the 5.13's

-Chuck
It's not actually that the u-joint itself is the cause of the breakage although that is where the failure occurs. The brakage is occurring after the c-clips fall off and the u-joint cap works it's way out, leading to catastrophic failure. The solution is to keep the caps in place with either full circle clips or tack welding the caps to the yokes. Granted a stronger u-joint can't hurt though.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

I had another question the other day about our R & P gear being snapped apart.

?1 The knuckle (I think) on my tie rod, is completley whack out, so my alignment was off and didn't confirm til' I saw this. IS this a home fix or do we have to take to a tire shop!?

?2 To the R & P gear. We have 35s, D30 and the u joint is gone. Hopefully the R & P gear are still intact and perfectly a-ok. We can't find out here at home. We live on a military base, and CANT WORK ON OUR DARN Rigs. Almost got evicted a few weeks back installing the winch, anyways, that being said. We are waiting and biting nails .... do any one ya'll advise take it to a 4x4 shop and get lockers and new gears or just have the dealership check it out?

my husband say its fine to drive. He won't pay for a tow truck, if I can still drive the jeep. I don't want to FK my whole front axle and having the whole end (don't know what its called. that goes to the wheel snap apart like other people have had happen!)

So Do i just break my front axle and get new gears and a locker, or try to save the axle and get it diagnosed first, and just get the u joint fixed. My husband wants to get new gears and lockers for my jeep. Its just time with him. Of cousres hes a guy. Wants to build up his yota (tacoma).

?3 what are the differences you will see between 4.88s and 5.13s and a D30 and a D44? I beleive I have a 27 spline .. dunno if that makes any bit of a difference.

Ya can laugh at me if you want. i really am wanting to learn this though. Please help!

Quick Reply: 5.13's on Dana 30?