Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5.13 Gears, Problems...or All Good?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.13 Gears, Problems...or All Good?

If you have had 5.13 gears installed, can you post:

a) how many miles you have on them

and

b) any problems you have had with them since the install

I am scheduled to put my Rubicon Unlimited automagic, with 35" shoes, under the knife for just such a "procedure" later this month (Yukons)...so there is still time to bail if needed.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running them for 20,000 miles with 35's and an auto, and the only problem I'm having, is wishing I went with 5.38's.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

I've only had mine a couple of weeks but I love them. I wish that I could drive a Jeep with 5.38s to see how much more pickup that it had. I just bought the AEV programmer and it really helped the shift points on the automatic.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its all in whether or not the shop knows what they are doing and take the time to make sure its 100% setup, specially on the rubi with the electro lockers. I would make sure your shop has done them before on a new rubi with the lockers, I had mine screwed up and it cost me alot of money to get it fixed right.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll vouche for the shop he's using... Probably the best guy in the Phoenix metro area for JK work. Ask Rock Krawler and RIPP, they work very closely with Joe at Absolute. Interesting feedback about you guys wishing you had gone 5.38's. I've been on the fence about 4.88's or the 5.13's and I am def leaning deeper now! So, what is it like running your autos on 35's down the freeway at 75-80? I know its kinda fast, but I travel Phx to L.A. quite a bit and the speed limit is 75. Drive mush slower and you can become a speed bump with these crazy drivers. Hope this isnt considered a hijack JeepyJeep... its kind of on topic right?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I dont really remember how many miles i have on mine. I would guess about 12,000. No problems. They have been quite since day one.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiJK
I'll vouche for the shop he's using... Probably the best guy in the Phoenix metro area for JK work. Ask Rock Krawler and RIPP, they work very closely with Joe at Absolute. Interesting feedback about you guys wishing you had gone 5.38's. I've been on the fence about 4.88's or the 5.13's and I am def leaning deeper now! So, what is it like running your autos on 35's down the freeway at 75-80? I know its kinda fast, but I travel Phx to L.A. quite a bit and the speed limit is 75. Drive mush slower and you can become a speed bump with these crazy drivers. Hope this isnt considered a hijack JeepyJeep... its kind of on topic right?

RubiJK,

No worries, you're still on topic...but now the 5.38's enter the arena throwing a wrench, pun intended, into my plans...

In addition, I read in another thread that Dana/Spicer may be coming to market soon with a 5.13...hmmm...more to consider.

I think I will stay on the 5.13 bandwagon...for now... as I think that for my wheeling needs/abilities the 5.13's should be ample. Additionally, it seems as though the 5.13's have been out long enuf that any tweaks needed to improve them, are in place. From most of the threads I read, it appears as though a KEY ingredient in re gearing is finding the right shop.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

About 10,000 miles on 35's and 5.13's with a 6 speed and No problems. Randy's ring and pinion with Yukon prototype gears.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Why not calculate the revs per mile with the original package on how you bought the jeep and ask was this ok or not.

then calculate the revs per mile with the new tire size and different gears to see how close you are to the original set up.

then you would have a starting point of reference. calculations can tell you where you were and where you are going. then you can make an educated decision before you plunk the money down.

now if you can also drive a rig that had it done it would be even better. but opinions are just that and you have to live with what you get after the $$$ are spent.

cheers
Old 02-07-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Junkie

almost 8000 miles on mine and all good

Quick Reply: 5.13 Gears, Problems...or All Good?