Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

5.13 gear noise

Old 10-08-2007, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 5.13 gear noise

Just wondering if anybody is having gear noise on decel with 5.13's in the D44?
I had Four Wheel Parts in socal install 5.13's in my 07 Rubicon auto with 35's. There is a very noticeable gear whining when decelerating pretty much at any speed.
The first time I took it back they said everything looked good, "when you go to a tall gear like that you are going to have some noise" (B.S. in my opinion).
After I called the regional manager they looked at it again and replaced a bearing they thought was bad, but still same problem. Then they replaced the gear set with a new one they received from superior gear and the noise got worse. Four Wheel Parts claims Superior Gear is having issues with theses gears and sometimes it might me right after the 5th set. They also claim they talked to Mel at Off Road Evolution, and they are having lots of problems too.
Am I just being jerked around, or is there a real problem with the 5.13's?

Robert.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

I forgot to mention that the noise is coming from the rear diff.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you have Superior gears. Superior gears sometimes make noise. Its a hit or miss kind of thing. Some do some don't.

In my F250 I am running Superior gears and they are reasonably loud. I have had them installed for 2 years and 40k trouble free miles.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

ZERO noise from my Superior 5.13's. Runnings 37's and I am hard on them. BS that they say they cannot get rid of the noise.

Nate
Old 10-08-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Im calling BS also..........I searched around before I bought gears and the only problems Ive seen are from installer error.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, they had my Jeep now for a week, spoke to them today, they said they will tighten up the backlash some more. They spoke with Off Road Evolution and got some help. I think Off Road Evolution are the experts on these gears, they worked with Superior Gear prototyping these gears I hear.
So we will see if this finally fixes it.
I am getting tired of them working on my Jeep, its their first time doing these gears. I should get them for free, or better yet, they should pay me to experiment on my Jeep!

Happy trails,

Robert
Old 10-09-2007, 03:50 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, a little bit of whine during break in is kind of normal but it should go away after that. If the whine is really loud, I'd have to agree with others here and say that it's install error. Good luck to you - if anyone can help you out, Mel should be able to.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds like backlash to me. Did they check the gear pattern? Depending on how this is set you will have little or no noise under power but when you are rolling (coast side) it can get pretty loud.

Secondly, are there any shavings in the fluid? I had a bad set of gears a few years ago, turned out to be some "edges" on the teeth of the ring gear. After replacement, all was good.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

they are on the 3rd gear set now, I believe. Now they will tighten up the backlash to less than what is spec. If this does not fix it I will ask for a refund and get the work done somewhere else. I don't think it is rocket science or brain surgery. Probably take it to Off Road Evolution which I should have done to begin with.....
Old 10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe they are not getting the pinion depth where it belongs. If that is the case they will make noise and probably fail. you can check that with marking compound all the contact should be in the center of the ring gear teeth.

Quick Reply: 5.13 gear noise