Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

4in lift=new driveshaft?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4in lift=new driveshaft?

So im looking into purchasing the skyjacker classic red 4 in lift. I plan on running 35's and doing some moderate off roading. My 2011 JKU sport is also my daily driver. Do I need to get new drive shafts or are the stock ok?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Your stock front driveshaft will work just fine!

Until the little boot wears through, starts spitting grease, dries out, makes noise, and finally seizes, that is...

The name on the box doesn't matter. It's all about the variables. Actual lift height, shock length, disconnects, transmission, driving location/syle, luck, etc.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=nthinuf;2738546]Your stock front driveshaft will work just fine!

Until the little boot wears through, starts spitting grease, dries out, makes noise, and finally seizes, that is...

And that of course depends on if you have an automatic or stick as to how long it will last.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:40 PM
JK Junkie

Just to sum it all up "Yes" you will need a new drive shaft. Now when do you buy is the real question. You can probably go with out needing a new drive shaft if you stick to the city streets or you can wait till you hit the trails and buy a new drive shaft there soon afterwards.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JAFHR
And that of course depends on if you have an automatic or stick as to how long it will last.
Nah, loosing that boot is just an annoyance. I'm referring to the one in the joint at the tcase end of the shaft.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 AM
JK Freak

Everyone looks at things in a different perspective. I know I did not need to buy the DS immediately but I knew I would need it eventually. I replaced both drive shafts when I installed my lift so I wouldn't have to watch and wait. Just get it out of the way now so you don't have to worry about it later. At least the front DS.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:00 AM
JK Freak

My stock shafts have lasted 18000 miles with the same lift, but my front is now gone. I've got Coast 1310's on the way. You can run for a while on the stock shafts, but you will need them eventually.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had 20,000 miles on mine the first 15,000 miles had no idea what the jeep was capable of just lifted for looks. Then meet this guy and started going rock climbing and really flexing it out the second time out i ripped the boot on the tranny i have a auto if your 6spd your fine drove about 2,000 miles with a ripped boot till hurricane irene came through and there was closed roads everywhere could not resist driving down the closed roads. 2 weeks later my drive shaft was making horrible binding noise i had a 2.5" lift and 37s. I traded my 09 in for a 2012 rubicon i have 1,500 miles and im on 37s and replaced the drive shaft so i didn't have to worry about it.

I would run it till you rip it then buy a drive shaft.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah, they will last for a while after the lift.

Quick Reply: 4in lift=new driveshaft?