Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

410 gears with 35" tires

Old 10-14-2009, 02:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

But sometimes i wonder if i am straining the trans... but thats just me thinking too much i think
There was a post a few months back concerning this. He went in with a blown trans, they saw the big tires, asked about the gears - and the fact that he had regeared was what kept it in warranty. If the gears were stock, they would have declined the coverage.

(I obviously don't know if that is fact or fiction, but we know it puts extra strain on the tranny, and it is certainly going to be a dealer by dealer judgement call)

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-14-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer service dept told me that if I regear (to put on bigger tires/lift), that's tampering with the drivetrain and would automatically void my warranty. I called bull on that and said you mean to tell me that if I put bigger tires on, not regear to get it back to stock ratio, blow the trans/motor, you would honor the warranty? BS. Then he said, why would I want to put bigger tires on it? That really got my goat. They have no idea what Jeep is all about.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.JK
I am running 33's now and want 35's, who is running 35's with an auto trans?

Are you happy with it?
i am just about 10-12 miles from you running 35 BFG KM2's with stock rubi 4:10 auto unlimited hard top its very livable to me
Old 10-14-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JDRs_JK
I'll let you drive mine this weekend and you can see for yourself. For our area I think 4:10s are fine. Turn off OD on the hilly 2 lanes and it runs great.
He could drive mine aswell i never turn off overdrive it does go out of overdrive some but not bad at all
Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dr.JK
I am running 33's now and want 35's, who is running 35's with an auto trans?

Are you happy with it?
Look here.

I don't have a lot of mileage on the new gears, but so far I'm glad I made the change.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got 33's, 4.10's and auto and dislike them everytime I get on the freeway for the morning commute! Wouldn't even consider 35's without regearing. Hey, but that's just me!!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SAJeepthing
Maybe you shouold have gotten the 6spd manual. I have no problems on hills with the 35's and 4.10s. I've been through some pretty long grades, steep grades, and getting up to speed on the freeway and no issues. Granted I'm not going through the I70 corridor in Colorado anymore but I just haven't had the issues.

Funny side note is I've been reading threads for a long time before I started posting replies and I must have some miracle JK because all the complaints I see about power loss and bad gas mileage I haven't experienced yet. I use the word yet very loose but my Jeep runs great.
I feel better seeing your post w/ the 6-speed. I have the same and am installing my 35's this Sunday I was beginning to wonder with all the horror stories the auto trans peeps have.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renpia
My dealer service dept told me that if I regear (to put on bigger tires/lift), that's tampering with the drivetrain and would automatically void my warranty. I called bull on that and said you mean to tell me that if I put bigger tires on, not regear to get it back to stock ratio, blow the trans/motor, you would honor the warranty? BS. Then he said, why would I want to put bigger tires on it? That really got my goat. They have no idea what Jeep is all about.
Tell him he's living in denial and then show him the Magnuson act. Magnuson superchargers fought and won this battle in the Supreme Court over 10 years ago. It suprises me that dealers still hold onto the "warranty void" crutch for aftermarket parts. I have a Camaro tweaked out of it's mind and with a little research have had all kinds of warranty work performed...... even after the Chevy 3 year/36K warranty. (For example, had the roof replaced by TBO in 2008.....when the car was 6 years old. Cost to dealer....$3500. Cost to me.....$100 ). I've had similiar experiences with my Jeep.... show the research and call BS. In short, it's not a Jeep thing. It's a dealer service department thing. Think of the service manager as the head of an insurance company. If they can get away without a payout...... they will.

BTW, the Magnuson ruling states that an aftermarket part does NOT void a warranty unless it can be proven that the part itself caused the failure which a customer is seeking warranty repair upon. Burden of proof is on the dealer. That's the super short laymans version of the act.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZ Red Rock Rubi
I've got 33's, 4.10's and auto and dislike them everytime I get on the freeway for the morning commute! Wouldn't even consider 35's without regearing. Hey, but that's just me!!
Yup, what he said. I have the stock 32s, and cant stand it on the freeway. 5.38 or 5.13 is the question.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chicken Corners
Yup, what he said. I have the stock 32s, and cant stand it on the freeway. 5.38 or 5.13 is the question.
I know 0-70 the 5.38s are great, but I can't compare them to 5.13s.

Quick Reply: 410 gears with 35" tires