Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

410 gears with 35" tires

Old 10-14-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you drive mine this weekend and you can see for yourself. For our area I think 4:10s are fine. Turn off OD on the hilly 2 lanes and it runs great.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35s on 4.10s here...AT...hate it also.
Planning on 5.13s as next investment.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

In addition to the various opinions you're getting, take a look at the chart here

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...76&postcount=4

Around town, you won't notice all that much difference. But decide just how much you like being able to actually use your OD. You'll be running at around 1900 rpm at 70mph. That's well below the power band this engine likes, and constant shifting in and out of OD and hunting for gears is normal.

You'll lose mpg's from the larger tires and lift, you'll lose even more from lugging the engine and giving extra gas and using lower gears to get you to the same speeds.

Another thing I didn't care for (with 3.73's and 34's) was that I would have to go down into 4low at times to make it up any of the steeper hills offroad. I had traction, just not enough power/gear to move forward.

And lastly, you should consider the extra strain you are putting on the transmission. It may be worth talking to your local dealer to get their viewpoint on replacing a transmission that was fried because of big tires on stock gears. (nobody can say that it 'will' happen to you, but it is something to think about...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-14-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

If you look at the gear chart in the Newb Q&As it looks like 4.10s with 35s would bring you in line with stock gearing and 32s.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

I run 35" bighorns on my 2door automatic and honestly dont see why everybody says they are so sluggish without gearing. Sure it would probly be more peppy with 5.13s but I have no issues what so ever even running it in overdrive. My daily drive is around 90 miles round trip and that is up and down the mountains of tennessee. Honestly I dont feel like it downshifts any more than it did with the 31" tires on it.

And before you guys say I must be used to slow cars the last several vehicles have been gm LS powered cars with the last one being a highly modified GTO. I've drove alot of other cars that felt more under-powered than my jeep with stock gears and 35"s
Old 10-14-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

We just put 35's on our rubi about two months ago. My first impression was that "what's everyone complaining about, this isn't so bad". Most of our driving is street, highway (speed limit 55) and some freeways with 60mph limits. For this type of driving the 4.10s are fine. However when we finally drove 4 hours to go wheeling I got very annoyed. I couldn't maintain 4th gear, every overpass the jeep would slow down, or down shift.

I'm having a hard time talking my wife into spending that kida cash on regearing so we're living with it and I'll probably install a tranny cooler.

But I hope to regear sooner than later. You can live with 4.10 but you will be compromising.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put on 35" Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts up from a 33" Hankook DynaPro MT and definitely notice the change. Like some others have said it's tolerable but not the ideal. I'll probably be hating it when I take it up I70 this winter. So far for most of my routine driving it will do just fine, though I do plan to go with 5.13 in the future when budget allows.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default 35's and Auto

35's on my Rubicon Unlimited Auto, and with the Superchips programming no real issues. I drive 80-85 on the interstate and it does still kick out of OD some, but nothing to get too worked up about. While I agree that gearing would help, I don't see that it would be worth the additional expense.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

35's, Auto and 4:10's here. When I put the 35's on I found it very acceptable and was more than willing to turn the OD every once in a while when needed. So I had no plans to re-gear.

Then I got the Superchips Flashpaq and it is AMAZING! My Jeep now drives / shifts / pulls better than it did with the stock tires on it.

If you have an automatic get a Flashpaq and you will be amazed at all of the little quirks that it resolves and you will really be able to enjoy driving your Jeep more than you did when it was stock.

Of course it works great for the 6 speeds as well but they are to busy pushing in clutches and trying to find the right gear to be able to just sit back and enjoy the ride
Old 10-14-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

35"s Auto plus superchips here... I think it drives just fine. Its a jeep! But sometimes i wonder if i am straining the trans... but thats just me thinking too much i think

Quick Reply: 410 gears with 35" tires