Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

40x13.5?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P Nasty
haha well thats always good to hear =D

Yeah im torn on what to do. I do love the way my jeep looks, i just want it a little bigger. My step dad has 40s on his jeep. but they are also old, 15.5 wide and BOGGERS!! so i cannot really compare the two. I think the 40s would still give me a good ride but i dont know what to do. Since i already have 5.13s the 35s are really rough on the engine since im ALWAYS over reving on the highway, so i thought 40s would just fill up my gap, ease up on the engine and just look better in general but i dont know.... Im so torn on what to do...

I had a chevrolet truck with 18 39.5 boggers and 5.13 gears and it was fun, but I wouldnt drive it far. I know the jeep would be different, but I also have a friend who has 38's on a Superduty, 39.5 boggers on a 68 ford, and has had many other lifted vehicles. He is shying away from lifting his JK b/c of messing the ride up. He, like me had a TJ with 4 inches and 33's before the JK. Just my
.02. To me the jeep wasnt built for 40's and you could be opening up a can of worms.

Good Luck.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

May just be me or the angle or something, but that looks skinny as is. Going a couple inches taller and same width, dunno...

But hey, I'd buy them with your money!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HUNTER
They may look a little "skinny". I have 38x14.5 and they look "right" imo
Check out my pics
What size lift are you running? Your right about them looking just right. I have seen some 40x15.5 on jks and i wanna say they look stupid. Its awesome cuz they are big, but it just makes everything so dysfunctional looking. Your lift dosent look that big though to be running 38s. What size are you running?

As for opening cans of worms...its already opened... Im to apoint where there is so many things that need swapping or tweaking im just going through and upgrading everything 1 at a time.

when i first started in the jeep i had no idea what i was doing, so i had a cheap 3" fabtech kit with 35s and stock 4.10s and all and i ended up buying a bumper and winch for value instead of what a wanted and hated it all, so now i have the bumper i want, the winch that makes me happy, the lights i love, soon the be the size tires i want, lockers, disconnects and i sold the old dynamax exhaust to get a rancho exhaust which i love WAYYY more. I have just been swapping everything out to redo my jeep and so far i love all the new stuff way more. Im to the point where everything feels like its everywhere, but im in the process of putting it all back together :P Im just hoping the 40s are part of the "put it back together plan"

do you guys think that 3k rpms at 65 is that bad for the engine? The reason i want 40s so bad is to get my rpms back down on the high way, but assuming that dosent matter to much, then i may just swap back and use my 35s and spend my money on like a new top or a snorkel or something
Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
May just be me or the angle or something, but that looks skinny as is. Going a couple inches taller and same width, dunno...

But hey, I'd buy them with your money!
that is an OLD picture :P That was a 3" lift and 35x12.5 tires i believe.

more recent

but therse are still kind of out dated. I still hadnt put the locker in or IPF lights or anything. Still missing some stuff. But these are the most up to date i have.

EDIT: These pictures are the 35s as well. 12.5 wide.

Last edited by P Nasty; 04-16-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=P Nasty;1067292]What size lift are you running? Your right about them looking just right. I have seen some 40x15.5 on jks and i wanna say they look stupid. Its awesome cuz they are big, but it just makes everything so dysfunctional looking. Your lift dosent look that big though to be running 38s. What size are you running?

RE 3.5" shortarm(but it nets more??), The Xenons make all the difference. Minor rub at full stuff and wheel at full turn toward right only.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are going to put 40s on a dana 30? You have 5.13s right? did you see the size of your pinion? If it were me, and I was set on going 40s, I would skip building/breaking/building/breaking the D30 and get at least a 44 to start with. With that large of tire I would want D60s, molly shafts, gussetts and C's, bigger/better brakes, and 6.30:1 axle ratio. lol. I hate having stuff break on the trail, and I don't like my jeep all over the road. I think I would stay under 37s. Like said above "opening can of worms..."

I just don't think it is worth it, personally.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
you are going to put 40s on a dana 30? You have 5.13s right? did you see the size of your pinion? If it were me, and I was set on going 40s, I would skip building/breaking/building/breaking the D30 and get at least a 44 to start with. With that large of tire I would want D60s, molly shafts, gussetts and C's, bigger/better brakes, and 6.30:1 axle ratio. lol. I hate having stuff break on the trail, and I don't like my jeep all over the road. I think I would stay under 37s. Like said above "opening can of worms..."

I just don't think it is worth it, personally.
yeah im kinda coming to that conclusion myself. I hate it too, but i only wheel once every couple months or so, and its very minor most of the time since i live in florida...I think i could get away without breaking anything, but i just dont know that i wanna go that big. I really want a nice set of 37s. Those are PERFECT. but i cannot afford a set of those. I can only afford the 40s as of now :P

you make a very valid point, and believe me in know what your saying. Im just at a point where i dont want 35s since the over reving, and i cant afford 37s. I could run the 40s at least for a while and then sell them for more than i paid for them and down grade a bit later when i have more money. Thats kinda what im thinking at this point. I dunno, my brain is all over the place on this. Its hard making decisions when you have no income
Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=HUNTER;1067311]
Originally Posted by P Nasty
What size lift are you running? Your right about them looking just right. I have seen some 40x15.5 on jks and i wanna say they look stupid. Its awesome cuz they are big, but it just makes everything so dysfunctional looking. Your lift dosent look that big though to be running 38s. What size are you running?

RE 3.5" shortarm(but it nets more??), The Xenons make all the difference. Minor rub at full stuff and wheel at full turn toward right only.
Yeah i know. im dying for some xenons. ESPECIALLY if i had 40s. I just think they need to realize they are not 24k gold fenders. They need to sell them at a reasonable price and ill pick up a set =D Thats crazy that your running 38s on 3.5 :P Sure looks good though.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that good deal on 40s is going to cost you way more in the long run than a new set of 37s. You don't like your 5.13s with 35s? I love mine... I think they should come like that, I really did the extra go. 37s look awesome on a 4dr. 40s are just a little too big IMO. Kinda redneck. I saw a photo of orange crush on 37s, and I think it looks way better than it did on 40s. I don't mean any of that to sound insulting. I just don;t think the benefit outweighs the cost/ problems.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you fit your 40x13.5 tyres on a 10 wide rims they will look fat.

Below is pic of some 35x12.5 MTZs on 15x10 rims.

Last edited by Sim79; 04-16-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 40x13.5?