Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

40s rubbing front fender well

Old 07-26-2015, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 40s rubbing front fender well

How many of you running 40s had to trim the front wheel well? I'm installing axles and 40s now and it looks like the tires are going to rub the the wheel wells (where the pinch seam starts). I still have to flex it out to see if so and how bad. Had to quit for the night though. I have the axle pushed forward about an inch right now (again just in the beginning stages of setting everything up).
Old 07-26-2015, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
How many of you running 40s had to trim the front wheel well? I'm installing axles and 40s now and it looks like the tires are going to rub the the wheel wells (where the pinch seam starts). I still have to flex it out to see if so and how bad. Had to quit for the night though. I have the axle pushed forward about an inch right now (again just in the beginning stages of setting everything up).
I have no experience but don't judge it based on the way it sits. A lot of people forget geometry when thinking about rub. When your front axle is stuffed the control arms will actually move your axle forward a bit. Think a triangle and pendulum combined. Same for the rear, the control arms will actually move the axle back instead of suck it forward into the pinch seam.

Since you have 40s I'm assuming you have 8 arms and are fully centered, or are in the process of doing so. There will possibly be some rub, just keep that geometry in mind. Again, I'm only just moving to 35s so don't take my word. Hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 3.5" of lift on 40" and have never had issues in the front once I got the proper bump stops
Old 07-27-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

It is going to depend on your set up. I can't recall cutting up front but I have the front pushed forward 3" and run long arms. You may catch that rear part of the fender with a short arm.

Quick Reply: 40s rubbing front fender well