Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

40-50 bucks CAI and works great

Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so the fuel injection uses air intake. Has anybody put the filter outside the body besides a snorkel???
Old 09-08-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mocar
for those worried about water with a "cai" you can cut a bigger hole in the top of the stock box.
That's actually a pretty clever idea. Smart thinking.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jknockers
Why not just put a big washable filter right on the front of the throttle body, no tube
still have to run a hose to the crank case
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rokklymer
Okay so the fuel injection uses air intake. Has anybody put the filter outside the body besides a snorkel???
thedirtman did, it's still kind of a snorkel I guess but not like the traditional one. here's a link to the thread. requires some fab work

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...irtman+snorkel
Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vic

:rotflmao2 :
I love it
Originally Posted by Merlin4979

That's actually a pretty clever idea. Smart thinking.
thanks! Although I can't take full credit for the idea, I remember seeing someone somewhere on the Internet that did it but doesn't seem to be a common mod yet. works great though, keeps filter pretty clean and dry
Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

still have to run a hose to the crank case
As long as there is a opening to the outside the crankcase will breath,,, I know if ya wanna be enviro friendly or pass emissions you need one also.. But old engines use to just vent the crankcase to the outside air
Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jknockers

As long as there is a opening to the outside the crankcase will breath,,, I know if ya wanna be enviro friendly or pass emissions you need one also.. But old engines use to just vent the crankcase to the outside air
now i could be wrong but i think The hose that goes from the air intake to crankcase sucks in air. the blowby gasses are then vented through the pcv valve directly into the intake manifold. so leaving that open could cause dirt/water to get into the engine possibly causing damage. they do sell air filters that attach directly to the crankcase but a mini conical filter on a jeep would be clogged in no time if you wheel in dusty/muddy conditions.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

now i could be wrong but i think The hose that goes from the air intake to crankcase sucks in air. the blowby gasses are then vented through the pcv valve directly into the intake manifold. so leaving that open could cause dirt/water to get into the engine possibly causing damage. they do sell air filters that attach directly to the crankcase but a mini conical filter on a jeep would be clogged in no time if you wheel in dusty/muddy conditions.
Theres a whole history on the PVC/ EGR thing that has come around since the EPA has gotten it's meat hooks into the auto industry and then the streetbikes and now finally the offroad scene (dirt bikes/quads/side by sides). I'd have to sit down or go ouside and study the exhaust/egr system to come up with a way to route it safely and vent the crankcase safely. If its like many I have taken off before it would involve block off plates or plugging some hoses and/or rerouting some hoses. (small block chevy's, toyotas, and gsxr 1000 PAIR mods along with PC 3). Bottom line, the crank case has to be vented and the exhaust should not be vented at all to the intake but on a lot of cars they vent some Ehaust Gases are Recycled back through the intake (no good in my book).
Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

but good in the EPAs book lol
Old 09-18-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

You are only as strong as your weakest link same principle with the air fuel exhaust cold air intake do produce more power if the airbus is restricting air flow. The best ting to due is airbus exhaust and tune. If you have more money headers supercharger to force air cam it is a endless power hunt and money hungry

Quick Reply: 40-50 bucks CAI and works great