Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

40-50 bucks CAI and works great

Old 09-08-2011, 02:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Agree with the "Not a cold air intake". Actually it would be called a short ram intake. As far as any intake in a naturally aspirated engine, without enlarging the intake runners to allow more air, or somehow changing the atmospheric pressure, there can not be more airflow.
Perhaps the whine of these things leads many to believe more "seat of the pants" power.
A waste of $$$ IMO.
But, isn't it the lesser amount of resistance or less restrictive effect of the incoming air that actually gives it more power all over the torque curve????? Just sayin seems like the less restrictive the air intake the easier the engine (air pump) can draw in the air.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jknockers
But, isn't it the lesser amount of resistance or less restrictive effect of the incoming air that actually gives it more power all over the torque curve????? Just sayin seems like the less restrictive the air intake the easier the engine (air pump) can draw in the air.
No.
You could remove the filter completely and run a tube right into the throtle body. This would not change the flow or pressure of the air moving down the intake runners to the combustion chambers.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put an AFE CAI on mine a month or so ago even after I hydrolocked my C5 corvette many years ago. I havent forgotten that by any means. The plan is to run a custom snorkel setup ( im gathering supplies today as a matter o fact) but the "turbo" sound is badass to me (I know its just noise) and Im pretty sure I gained a little, and I do mean little, fuel milage. Either way, I dont consider it a "waste of money". Make it a building step. save up for an exhaust, put a sock on that filter for the heavy rain days and dont forget what you have under the hood when you offroad and it will do you just fine for the time being. Part of the jeep culture is "make it your own". Some people put 5 grand in turbos or hemi setups and the rest of us bolt on intakes until we can afford to do the same. Sorry for the rant, but I was pretty stoked about my CAI when I installed it, and even tho everyone has seen pics of them installed, and the opinion on them seems to be down the middle, I fought the urge to post pics of my setup bc I was proud of it. It looks good man run what you want, and at a third of the price that I paid for my CAI! good for you
Old 09-08-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

for those worried about water with a "cai" you can cut a bigger hole in the top of the stock box.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2758055351.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	208407   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3011428670.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	208408  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Vic
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mocar
for those worried about water with a "cai" you can cut a bigger hole in the top of the stock box.
:rotflmao2 :
I love it
Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

That was the plan today ..put some type of protection up underneath the filter. My mpg gauge says Ive gained 1.1 for what its worth and coming up the hill to my house seems alot easier....is it a 150 dollar plus improvment? no...is it a 40 dollar improvement? Id say yeh.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone ever poped a hole directly above the Carburetor and installed anything like the older cold air intakes?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats what i did and it works good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1315239897822.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	208448  
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rokklymer
Has anyone ever poped a hole directly above the Carburetor and installed anything like the older cold air intakes?
carburetor? they've been obsolete for 20 years or so.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Why not just put a big washable filter right on the front of the throttle body, no tube

Quick Reply: 40-50 bucks CAI and works great